General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

p0101, p0171, p0174

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question p0101, p0171, p0174

I have a trans am with the 4l60e.

Here is a brief overview of what happened before getting these codes. I was passing a semi on the highway and did a full throttle pass in OD, this is bad from what I have read here, and after passing the truck the transmission didn't want to shift into overdrive and the rpms crept up while hesitating to shift. I don't remember if I shifted down to third or just left off the gas next, but it did shift into overdrive.

The car drives fine with no problems if you apply light throttle. It shifts with no hesitation through all gears and overdrive comes in smoothly. But as soon as I apply anything more than light throttle in overdrive, it won't want to shift down and the rpms will creep up with hesitation. I then tried leaving it in 3rd gear to accelerate more than light throttle and it does the same thing as in overdrive. From a standstill, the transmission shifts fine through all gears, but if I go to pass someone or apply moderate throttle, the transmission is hesitating to downshft.

The next day I got the P0101, P0171, P0174 codes. Like I said, under light throttle, all gears are shifting fine. The engine is running smooth and isn't acting odd. I don't know if this is the original trans, but the car has 168,xxx. I have parked the car and haven't had time to look under the hood. All I did was connect the code reader and look them up in the GM service manuals for explanations. Also, my parking brake light is working on and off (won't light up when brake is applied). This started happening right after the issue from above. I don't know if they are related.

My question is, are these codes causing the transmission to act up or is the transmission on its own way out?

Last edited by guy7bmwm83; 03-22-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

First thing i would try is cleaning the hot wire element in the mass air flow sensor.
You can get a can of maf cleaner from most parts stores. If youve never done so, i bet its very dirty. I also would not rule out it being defective at that age. Also disconnect the neg terminal on the batt to reset the pcm.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which wire inside of the MAF is the hot wire? I saw a total of three wires inside. One on one side and two on the other side.

I believe I have solved this issue. I opened up my airbox and found a piece of foam sealing tape I use around the underside of the airbox lodged in front of the MAF. I also cleaned the throttle body and removed some debris from the MAF. I cleared the codes and they have not come back. Also, the transmission/engine does not hesitate under heavier throttle.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same codes on my 2006 sierra truck with 8.1L. cleaned the MAF 3 times before replacing it which fixed the problem. i never had any problems driving other than the light on the cluster. truck had k&N cold air intake before the maf and the filter was exposed to the wheel well and i found evidence of water stains and dried dirt in the maf housing. so from my experience sometimes you need to replace a maf, cleaning it does not solve things.

i've read that a bad maf can cause odd transmission behavior, maybe that was what you were seeing. i believe the transmission computer relies on the maf signal indirectly under certain conditions to know engine load and calculate shift points and pressures.

Quick Reply: p0101, p0171, p0174