Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Shimming front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shimming front bumper cover

I got my Z back from the body shop getting my Harwood cowl hood worked and lined up. I need to shim the bumper cover up a hair to get it to line up perfect. What should I use to do this? I'm replacing all the push pin in the cover with stainless button head bolts, should I just shim it there with some washers?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it was me I would assume that I would need to shim the bumper support with washers like you said.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i assume u have turned all the hood bump stops all the way down and adjusted the hood latch down to where it pulls the front of the hood down as far as possible... cause imo u shouldnt have to shim the bumper up... i could be wrong tho... or just dont understand what u mean
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
So i assume u have turned all the hood bump stops all the way down and adjusted the hood latch down to where it pulls the front of the hood down as far as possible... cause imo u shouldnt have to shim the bumper up... i could be wrong tho... or just dont understand what u mean
But doing that can mess up the alignment between the fenders and hood, making the hood look sunken in.

My 98's bumper cover sagged a little, but it had been hit a couple times before I got the car.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
i would try this too. i would think with just a hood change it would be high on the fenders too if its high on the bumper. got pics?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

It was actually sitting low on the fenders until the body guy did his work on it. The bumper is sitting a little low now probably because I just have it connected on the sides to the fenders. Once I put the body clips in the bottom and bolts in the top it should be pretty close, I just may have to shim it a little to get it the way I want it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The bumper sags over time. no biggie.
I used some washers and a couple rivets. I pulled the bumper cover up into position then drilled a hole in the mounting lip of the bumper into the plastic headlight panel/support it attaches to. Then I dropped a rivet down to hold it up into position. Works beautifully and no one notices anything is different.

Quick Reply: Shimming front bumper cover