Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP New Motor worried about Mobil 1 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP New Motor worried about Mobil 1 Oil

Just put new rebuild motor into car. Put Mobil 1 oil in it, because I see that what everybody runs here. But then I read in a thread to run conventional oil in a new motor first so the rings will seat. Please help what do I do.
Thanks Matt
Old 04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be just fine. Keep in mind that the Corvettes came with Mobil 1 as factory fill, and so did most of the 2002 F-bodies. It's an old wive's tale to think that rings won't seat. No matter what oil you run, they will still seat. Synthetic is not going to hinder this process one bit.

You still should've gone with cheaper oil though, just simply because you'll want to do a few frequent changes on that new engine. Rebuilt engines end up having more assembly lube and other such stuff compared to a factory fresh motor, so you'd want to do a lot more changes during the first 5000 miles than you would with a new car.

If I bought a new car right now, I wouldn't bother doing it's first oil change until 3000 miles. But if I had a motor rebuilt, I'd probably do oil changes after the first 100 miles, then again at 500, then maybe again at 2000 and then go synthetic then, and go with 5 or 6k intervals.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats a relieve.