Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help finding a stereo to use w steering wheel controls...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help finding a stereo to use w steering wheel controls...

Okay I know with the adapter and a stereo w a remote connector you can use your steering wheel controls. Well I am just curious if any of you guys have any full size touch screen stereos that work with the controls and if you do, which model?

I need to change out the stereo, cd player is failing and I want to use a full size stereo w touch screen but need it to work w steering wheel controls.

Thanks for any input on you guys' setups.

(btw, 2000 trans am ws6)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

You said it yourself - with the proper adapter you can use any head unit that has a wired remote connector (basically anything made in the last several years). You can even use a head unit without wired remote capability as long as it comes with an infrared remote control and isn't one of a few Sony models.

By "full size" I assume you mean double DIN... just pick any brand name double DIN head unit that has the features you want and do a quick double check of the specs to ensure it supports wired remote (trust me - all of them will). Even most off-brand HUs like Pyle will have that capability but I wouldn't buy one. Stick with Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, and similar brand names (Pioneer and Kenwood are the current leaders in double DIN).
Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You said it yourself - with the proper adapter you can use any head unit that has a wired remote connector (basically anything made in the last several years). You can even use a head unit without wired remote capability as long as it comes with an infrared remote control and isn't one of a few Sony models.

By "full size" I assume you mean double DIN... just pick any brand name double DIN head unit that has the features you want and do a quick double check of the specs to ensure it supports wired remote (trust me - all of them will). Even most off-brand HUs like Pyle will have that capability but I wouldn't buy one. Stick with Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, and similar brand names (Pioneer and Kenwood are the current leaders in double DIN).
Oh okay, wow thank you for the information. Made me feel a lot better about searching for my next unit. THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

just another FYI, the reason I steered away from the touchscreen units, If you plan on installing a Subwoofer all the lower end touchscreen models typically are 2 volt RCA pre-outs where with a regular HU high end model (which is cheaper then the touchscreen low end) you get 4 volt or better preouts and believe me it makes a world of difference in the sound quality and "feel" of the sub playing, you'll be over a grand (last I looked) to find a touchscreen with 4 volt preouts, yet another reason running a tablet into a stereo to get a touch screen is getting so popular.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agree with DR. The true "audiophile" HUs with a full compliment of high output preamps are not the whiz-bang GPS/blu-ray touchscreen capable units.

As with home audio, I've come to the conclusion it's best to just use a receiver as a receiver, and buy external accessories to plug into it as necessary. Don't get caught up in the game of improved internet based features, etc. For home audio, once you put a home theater PC in your rack, you are done worrying about stupid model year "improvements" with firmware and network features.

Check out DoubleD's deal he had a while back on a JVC double DIN.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Capricio
Agree with DR. The true "audiophile" HUs with a full compliment of high output preamps are not the whiz-bang GPS/blu-ray touchscreen capable units.

As with home audio, I've come to the conclusion it's best to just use a receiver as a receiver, and buy external accessories to plug into it as necessary. Don't get caught up in the game of improved internet based features, etc. For home audio, once you put a home theater PC in your rack, you are done worrying about stupid model year "improvements" with firmware and network features.

Check out DoubleD's deal he had a while back on a JVC double DIN.
I don't care much for extreme audio, would just like to have the ability to play music from many sources. My current stereo stopped playing cd's and that means literally ONLY the radio works. It is driving me insane. I would like to have the ability for bluetooth sync w my phone, aux connection for phone or a friends phone, mp3 player, etc, as well as pandora maybe since I enjoy pandora. Things that make audio sources plentiful. Sound = as long as it works and isnt crackling, I am usually happy. I tend to always try to put my money into the cars performance before appearance/audio/interior, but this cd player is driving me NUTZ!

Quick Reply: Need help finding a stereo to use w steering wheel controls...