LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on LT1. exaclty what is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on LT1. exaclty what is needed?

okay as the title says, what all is needed?

ive done some research, and seen how others put it together.

ive ordered the 4an adapter piece. (NOS #17535) from summit.
it has a male piece on the end the gauge will be attaching to.

will i need a coupling? or do the make a gauge with a female end?

also i see a lot of the 0-15 psi gauges for carbed systems and the 0-1500 for nitrous. (i typed in 4an as well when i was searching for the gauges) should i be looking for a different size gauge (as in the stem diameter) and a offset coupling? or what? ...

also, i am aware of the weakness of the schrader valve, and it will break easily, watch over tightening. got that. but is a small gauge too much weight stress to put on it and leave it? or should i get a cap for the adapter as well to be able to remove the gauge?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Get this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accel-74745-Fuel-Pressure-Gauge-0-60-psi-GM-LT1-TPI-/190813434437?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6d5df245&vxp=mtrIs the car running now?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tonskiguy
are there not any other slightly cheaper ones sold without the elbow? (ive already bough that.) good size and perfect range thought. how dd you search for that? im trying to fnd a good way to find suitable ones and cant come up with much good search criteria except "4an pressure gauge" and that doesnt really get me where i want...

but yeah, i had the car running, after doing a second rebuild, and it was getting wayy too much gas, so i sent the PCM to PCMforless in Ohio, and it should be running like a top when i get the computer back. well gotta fix a couple oil leaks... but no smoking or missing or top end leaks now! lol
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

this one should work. i wouldnt call it junk anyway exactly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITTINGS-4AN...008#vi-content

i know im whining over $40 here but im almost out of funds, 3 things to fix turned into an entire motor rebuild. i bet ive almost smoked as many cancer sticks working on this heap as i spent in dollars on it! lol but i will need a cap with one.

Last edited by Numba20; 03-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

forgot to ask... ive never pulled them stem in the schrader valve, im assuming that will need done unless the NOS part has something in the fitting that presses on the stem. i know there is a tool made to pull them with. but cant u get them out with common garage hand tools as well? and if so, how exactly?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Launching!

That gauge will not go on the fuel rail. If you already have an lines, it would work. Are you serious about the Schroeder valve? The tool for that is like a dollar and they sell it at any convenience store. Why do you want the fuel gauge?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can see the point of an in cabin fuel pressure gauge on a high effort car but those are either mechanical with an isolator or are electric. An underhood fixed mounted fuel pressure gauge is pretty pointless and really just an opportunity for problems.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

That gauge will not go on the fuel rail. If you already have an lines, it would work. Are you serious about the Schroeder valve? The tool for that is like a dollar and they sell it at any convenience store. Why do you want the fuel gauge?
No, I was saying that 4an gauge should fit on the NOS elbow that I got which sits on the schrader valve. (part number in earlier post. Yeah I was serious about the schrader valve... I've never had to pull one or a tire valve stem, and didn't want to mess it up. I wasn't aware the tool was so generic. I'll pick one up tonight then.

I wanted to put the fuel gauge on to test fuel pressure. (obviously lol) but I have an after market fuel pump and I haven't done a lot of inspecting beyond the engine bay on my car, previous owners craftsmanship wasn't the greatest, and the guy before him installed the cam 180 out, so I never know what I'll uncover. I'm not 100 percent sure that the FPR is operating as it should, and I just wanted to test it, didn't know the gauges were $80 tho.

I have found a gauge in the garage shuffling through some stuff... I will upload a pic tonight. It may be usable?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I can see the point of an in cabin fuel pressure gauge on a high effort car but those are either mechanical with an isolator or are electric. An underhood fixed mounted fuel pressure gauge is pretty pointless and really just an opportunity for problems.
Car was running way too rich. (understatement) and I had the PCM sent out to PCMforless to retune. (previous owner had tuned by Zues performance) I gave PCMforless the numbers on some new injectors I'll be running, but wanted to make sure my fuel pressure is where it's supposed to be or I'll still be off on A/F ratio.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Launching!

If you just need to check the fuel pressure, you can buy a test gauge for 25 or 30 bucks at any auto parts store. It comes with all adapters. You might be able to borrow it too.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

If you just need to check the fuel pressure, you can buy a test gauge for 25 or 30 bucks at any auto parts store. It comes with all adapters. You might be able to borrow it too.
damn. It seems like no matter how much time I spend reading or wrenching, I still miss the simplest crap.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on LT1. exaclty what is needed?