Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which pacesetter headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which pacesetter headers?

I was about to order a set for my 2001 ss, 70-2255. I was also looking and it appears I might want 70-2566 being offroad? I assume they eliminate the cats? I will also be getting a tsp ory and send the computer off for the tune.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the headers you mentioned are EGR provisions, not cats (cats are in the y-pipe not the headers). The 2255 ones have provisions to connect your factory EGR system, the 2256 do not have these. The ones without EGR provisions are also called "race-style".

Depending on your states emissions, you may or may not have to have EGR. Here in IL they only do OBDII testing, so everyone runs the ones without EGR provisions. If you get the ones without the EGR you get to pull that whole system out of your car which is quite a bit of weight. If you can get away with it I highly suggest getting the race-style headers. I also would suggest you step up and get the coated pacesetters for $100 more.

As far as cats, when you get the ORY, that will eliminate your cats, thats why it is called an off-road y. The TSP ORY looks like a great piece. Since you are buying from TSP already, why not get their Pacesetter coated header and TSP ORY combo? Its $550, which is a nice price.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I'll be doing the egr delete. Are the coated better these days, read it wore off fast when I was searching.

Last edited by greasygears; 04-05-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Delete egr and go with ceramic coated racing headers. I would highly suggest welding your Ypipe, I went with the same set up, as your already know the fbody bodys sit low already and with a 3inch ypipe you bottom out on ever bump causing bad leaks.. My tsp lasted 5-6 months before it started leaking. So get it welded to prevent a headache later. I would keep the band clamps so you can detact the ypipe from the headers if need too be but weld the ypipe. Flowmaster sells header collector ball flange kits you can weld between your headers and ypipe for easy removal. So prevent a headache and do it right the first time!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greasygears
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I'll be doing the egr delete. Are the coated better these days, read it wore off fast when I was searching.
The coating was never that bad I didn't think. I bought used 2 year old pacesetter headers from here actually on my old car in 2009 i think, and they lasted me another 2 years before I got rid of the car. They were surface rusted when i bought them, but they lasted me the next 2 years without issue.

I should probably also note, that even if you do get the EGR provision headers, you can still delete EGR, you will just need block off plates for the EGR connectors on the headers. But if you dont plan to use EGR then what is the point to get the provisions? Just another place it can leak down the road. But I did want to point that out at least.

Quick Reply: Which pacesetter headers?