LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

purchasing beehive 918's

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing beehive 918's

hey guys im in the middle of my cam install cc xfi466 .575/.570 my cam card reccomends the use of beehive 918's, so i was wondering if someone could provide me a parts list of what i need im aware of 10deg locks and retainers but how do the shims workout? i seen some places you can purchase the spring seat would that replace the shim to give me my installed height of 1.800" a parts list with part numbers would really help thanks..
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard nothing but bad things and horror stories about the 918s on the agressive xfi lobes. I'd see what some of these other guys are using.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5368
I've heard nothing but bad things and horror stories about the 918s on the agressive xfi lobes. I'd see what some of these other guys are using.
Really?

I have the 466 "XFI" cam and the 918's. Been in for years now with no issues. No valve float at 6500 RPM. The XFI lobes want a "bee hive" type spring.

I have heard reports of "bee hive" spring failure but not in relation to the XFI cam profile.

OP

the installed height of 1.800", which is what most aftermarket springs are set for, is higher than the 1.70"-1.75" the stock springs are. Typically you get the spring pockets of the heads milled down when having head word done. Many people don't and install 1.800" springs "shorter" than spec so coil bind will now happen at a shorter lift than it would if installed at 1.800". On most cams this is not an issue.

If you don't have your spring pockets machined down you won't need any shims under the spring locator. Using a spring height measuring tool would confirm this though. You need a spring locator under the spring.

I have the 7 degree retainers, not the 10 degree ones, so maybe using the 10 degreee ones makes the spring set at 1.800".

I also have NSA RR and use ISKY adj guide plates. Some report SA RR hit the retainers of some aftermarket springs. I noticed this back when I had 987 springs with 10 degree retainers and locks and SA RR so switched out to NSA back then.

call COMP tech and get part #'s for the locators, retainers and keepers (you can use your stock 7 degree keepers if using 7 degree retainers for the 918). You can also search on places like SUMMIT for the part #'s also.

Quick Reply: purchasing beehive 918's