Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Guys with UMI adjustable torq arm come in - i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys with UMI adjustable torq arm come in - i need advice

long story short, i installed moser 9" housing and my BMR non adj torq arm rubbed the floor, we bang the floor to clear the torq arm, but it's still too close to my liking and i'm still nervous, the car also vibrates more now compared to it was before so i'm pretty sure there's still spot that still touching the torq arm.

it's rubbing on the rear part of the torque arm before the mounting bracket.

i'm planning to get UMI adj torque arm, do you guys think this will help?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you adjust it to make sure it wasn't a wrong angle making the vibration?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the moser 9" with a UMI adj. torque arm. The pinion angle needs to be set and yes mine hit the floor at the rear. I'm also lowered. BFH on the floor worked for me. Really needs everything to center the rear, adj. LCA's and panhard bar.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
Do you adjust it to make sure it wasn't a wrong angle making the vibration?
There was nothing i could adjust between the tranny and the rear end because my torq arm is non adj.

Plus i did not take off the torq arm from tranny, just slide the bracket to the torq arm mount on the rear end.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigblockb
I have the moser 9" with a UMI adj. torque arm. The pinion angle needs to be set and yes mine hit the floor at the rear. I'm also lowered. BFH on the floor worked for me. Really needs everything to center the rear, adj. LCA's and panhard bar.
I have done bfh on the floor and i do have adj lcas and adj panhard.

How hard you had to hit on the floor to clear the torq arm until it was fine. Did u have more vibration in the car after the 9"?

I notice more vibration since my coins in the ashtray makes a ruckus now and it was quiet before
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me get this straight bfh is hammering the floor correct?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I installed mine, I put LCA's, panhard, and adj torque arm so I could adjust the pinion angle. I had a little extra vibration, but I also did a new motor with prothane motor mounts. It's not bad to me and I regularly take it up to high speeds on the backroads. Pinion angle is very important. Not sure how bad it is with stock springs. I have Stranos' and listened to him for my whole setup. With your power, I would get the tq arm off the tranny. BFH=hammer. Mine still hit and I ended up trimming the floor and rewelding a piece there for clearance. I also had some extra vibration when I put the prothane tranny mount in. Everything about my car was with performance in mind, so the vibrations don't bother me. It's not bad enough to affect the ride and the vibration is the worse in the 50-75 mph range.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've been using eibach springs and bilstein shocks with the 10 bolts for a while now and never had anything wrong and i took the car to 150+ several times.

you're right the vibration is the worst around 50-75mph, i dont think my torq arm rubbing the floor really bad since i don't hear anything when i'm on a speed bump or bumpy road, but the vibration makes me think that the torque arm is actually rubbing the floor causing the interior to vibrate more.

i'm just trying to justify is it worth the money to get an adjustable torq arm.

another thing is if i get the torq arm off of the tranny, i'll have to get the relocation bracket right, but the bracket itself will bolt on to the floor, wouldn't that will cause the vibration even worse?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

I have a UMI one and there is a nice little hole in my floor due to having people in the back seat
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95sscamaro
I have a UMI one and there is a nice little hole in my floor due to having people in the back seat
That sux man. This by far my least favorite mod in my car.

I dont know why but the rear brakes are squeaking now and the car vibrates more than ever before.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by raysadude
That sux man. This by far my least favorite mod in my car.

I dont know why but the rear brakes are squeaking now and the car vibrates more than ever before.
I'm at stock hight too but I would recheck your pinion angle again, have you looked at the rearend for prob.?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Default arm

for what it's worth ,my friend bought a moser rear for his gbody and all the mounts from moser were welded incorrectly on his 9 inch rear to the point of not being able to connect his upper control arms on the rear they were hitting the floor ,I.m just saying
Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Need to read this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ano-parts.html
Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99T/AMAN
Yea im on to that thread, thanks man!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by like2z28
for what it's worth ,my friend bought a moser rear for his gbody and all the mounts from moser were welded incorrectly on his 9 inch rear to the point of not being able to connect his upper control arms on the rear they were hitting the floor ,I.m just saying
I dont think this is the case, everything fits nicely other than bangin the floor board.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you dont have the ability to adjust the ta you can measure the angle. Carpenters square on the harmonic balancer, set that as zero with a digital torpedo level...$20 at sears. Then measure the ds relative to that zero setting. Takes 5 minutes. If it isnt zero youll have more vibes that you could take out with an adjustable ta.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95sscamaro
I'm at stock hight too but I would recheck your pinion angle again, have you looked at the rearend for prob.?
i'm planning to get adj torque arm, just not sure if i should get the tunnel mount or trans mount one. once i figure out what i want i'll get it and i'll report back here.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Even if you dont have the ability to adjust the ta you can measure the angle. Carpenters square on the harmonic balancer, set that as zero with a digital torpedo level...$20 at sears. Then measure the ds relative to that zero setting. Takes 5 minutes. If it isnt zero youll have more vibes that you could take out with an adjustable ta.
i've actually taken the car to alignment shop and they measured that my PA was off by 1*, i'm planning to get adj TA now. like i said just not sure if i should get the trans mount or tunnel mount. i don't want to get the relocation bracket if it's going to introduce more sounds and vibration to the cabin.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is making me rethink even doing a Tq arm and relo bracket. Especially if the new arm is going to hit the floor of the car.....WTF is up with that?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing an S60 install in my 2002 now and just checked clearances the other day with an umi adjustable torque arm installed. it's the long torque arm that takes the place of the oem one and mounts to the tail of the transmission.
with the umi mount there are two sets of holes, on my s60 it only fit on one set which made the bracket on the pumpkin sit towards the driver's side and consequently closer to the tunnel of the car. with the rear suspension loaded the upper bolt that connects the torque arm to the bracket mounted on the pumpkin hits the tunnel of the car.
So i had to cut the top part of the umi bracket so i could use the other set of holes and have it fit on the S60 which then makes the bracket sit closer to the pumpkin and away from the tunnel, it gives you 1" of clearance. I also took a hammer to the tunnel where the bolt wedged before and left a mark and got some more clearance. connected everything up but did not have springs in the car and raised s60 axle to the bump stops and have good clearance of the umi torque arm bracket on the axle to the car body. i get a chance this weekend i'll add some pics.

from all my asking and reading, you do not want the short torque arm or any relocation bracket if you are concerned about vibrations. you want the torque arm to the tail shaft of the transmission and the rubber transmission mount between that and the body is what absorbs the vibrations.

Quick Reply: Guys with UMI adjustable torq arm come in - i need advice