Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Newbie Questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question More Newbie Questions!!!

Hey guys, I have another batch of ripe questions for you guys!!!

Regarding Combustion Chambers, what cc seems to work best on a set of ported heads? Keep in mind, I'm going from stock to 383 cid, I'm sure there's a different setup for the added inches.

What is the most compression I can get away with on pump gas for reg. driving and maybe some 100 unleaded on race nights? I really want it to work good on pump gas, because it will be driven daily.

Concerning head gaskets, are there any good aftermarket head gaskets out there now. When I swapped heads, I don't think there were any out there. If so, how much is compression affected by gasket thickness?

ValveTrain: Should I swap lifters? The ones in the car have nearly 100,000 HARD miles on them, so it seems like a good idea. Should I stay with stock type (hydraulic roller) or change to something else. I don't want solid (not a good idea for me to have to adjust something that important)

Now cam selection. What about Lift vs. Lifter vs. Rocker Arm vs. Springs. What's gonna give up first? I'm looking at around a .560 lift cam (Stealth from MTI) and I don't want dependability issues at all.

Guys please give me brand names (I really wish you guys wouldn't be sponsor partial, I want the best of the best, even if they don't happen to be a sponsor here) and I want Horror stories, install difficulties, anything, and I want good news too!

I know you guys are the best, so show me down the right path!

Thanks in advance,
Taco
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodness, what some questions!

I'll tackle a few for you.

Go with about 11.1:1 CR. This generally works fine with 93 octane. You might get away with a little more if you use a cam with alot of overlap but why push it?

Stock head gaskets work just fine. Nothing wrong with 'em. Cometics (the multi-layered metal ones) work fine too but the machining of the block and heads needs to be right. Use copper spray for sure on these. Gaskets should NOT be major issue on a NA car if they are installed correctly (not turned the wrong way and of course tq'd properly.)

There are formulas for calulating the effects that gasket thickness has on CR. My advise is, don't use thicker head gaskets as you will decrease the quench effect of the combustion chamber/piston.

With that many miles I would change the lifters. Stock works fine if you're keeping the RPMs sane (below 7000, IMO.) But, since you're buying you might go aftermarket. Seems like I recall that Comp makes a really good set for the LS1 now.

The Stealth cams will be nice and reliable if you use good springs. What's a good spring to use? Everyone has their opinion but I favor the newer double spring type. BTW, the lift is .581 on both sides of those cams.

Stock rockers are just fine. Considering your mileage, I'd probably change them while I was in there in which case I'd review my aftermarket options.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Launching!

The Colonel has it right on the money. Gaskets really shouldnt be that big of concern, stock work great, decent price and if something bad happens, (high cylinder press.) the gasket will drop out instead of lets say a valve or a piston.

Lifters, I just saw a real nice set of comp Rs get dropped into a nice h/c setup, thats what I would recommend. Springs, Im with the colonel, a good double setup is the way to go. Ive got Comp's 921s on mine, they are good up to .650 and have heard nothing but good things from other users and have no complaints at all. All in all, sounds like good advise. JP
Old 04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty solid advice from the Colonel.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I got a reply from The Colonel himself! Thanks for the advice guys, and the quick reply (what else from LS1Tech tho!)

Any advice on Chamber cc's?

Keep it coming guys!

Taco