Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e 1st gear slips (maby low pressure) need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 4l60e 1st gear slips (maby low pressure) need help

well step by step: 1.you put the car in drive 2.let off the break... car does not move at all forward on its own power( like 1st is not locked in .. give it a little gas and it will creap forward like a slipping gear) 3.start to push on the gas ( around 3000 rpm ) it will clunk into gear and start to move

Scenario 1: perfectly fine after that but lets say i come to a stop and go into another gear( P R N) and back to drive it will do the whole process above again

Scenario 2: but lets say i come to a stop and keep it in drive it will not slip and drive perfectly normal like nothing is wrong,

What i think the problem is: so it is only the first start up and going into gear like it does not give it enough fluid to lock the converter or put the transmission into gear, ( i thought it was the filter or fluid so i changed it and it still does the same thing). this happens weather the transmission is is over drive, drive, 2, 1 but reverse is perfectly normal and all other gears shift like butter

my above thought it coming from a person who knows jack squat about automatic transmissions so i could be completely off just what i feel like is happening .

Changed fluid and filter ( 5 ish quarts ...adding if it needed more) . ( after it started happening so I know its not the cause). Fluid was normal not burnt looking and haste normal metal in it.

If anyone has a clue I would appriciate the help . I heard possably the epc filter cloggedor forty...how do o get to that if that's the case and does that make sense? Also Fastenal clue on HP tuners when in reverse the line pressure % is 2but in drive its0% untilled it fonalu locks into gear
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

My first thought is the lower sprag (roller cluch) as that has to hold in 1st gear; sprags can slip or even be intermittent.

If Reverse is fine, then the converter is fine.
It would be a good idea to have a shop hook up a pressure gauge and check pressure in different gears and while blipping the throttle; that would also check the EPC circuit.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump anyone elce?

Quick Reply: 4l60e 1st gear slips (maby low pressure) need help