Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil pump/Timing chain question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump/Timing chain question

I searched here and couldn't find an answer. I have a 100k ish 5.3 that I just tore into.

Does the stock oil pump and timing chain need to be replaced when making good power on these motors? I have it all apart and now is the time to do it.

It seemed like the timing chain had a lot of slap in the sides but no movement on the top and bottom of the gears.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might as well do it. Just like you said its apart so now would be the time to upgrade its not too expensive for an important part of your motor.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toeffer777
It seemed like the timing chain had a lot of slap in the sides but no movement on the top and bottom of the gears.
The earlier (03 and older) had alot of slop (1/2" either way) in the chain so that is normal. But if the budget allows it, I'd replace both, then you know they are new and just for piece of mind.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

i am in the middle of doing a 4.8 for some boost..the engine is suppose to have 46k on it but who knows..it was suppose to be a 5.3 too..ha anyway i have a lot of slack with the stock chain so i am ordering a double roller rollmaster. i took the stock oil pump, ported it, and shimmed the relief spring. i plan on running dual valve springs so i would feel better with a good double roller timing chain.......Bob

Quick Reply: Oil pump/Timing chain question