Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Selection Help

Hello all,
I am currently working on a budget turbo build in my parents driveway with my friends welder and any parts I can scavenge. I am using the piping from my old catback for the crossover for example. Im 16 and this is my first car. XD. I know its a big project to undertake and it doesnt help that ive got a limited budget. But ive got my plan set out and im gonna make it happen. The car is a 1995 Z28 that use to have an lt1 and im swapping a 4.8 vortec into and building the turbo setup at the same time. This will be my daily driver in a 6 months so I need to keep it streetable. But back to the question. I plan on using a single on3 turbo but im not sure what turbo to use. The 4.8 will be getting ls6 valve springs and possibly an ls6 cam along with the ls1 intake it will be using. My goal is for the engine to make around 500hp and 500lb/ft of torque if possible. I would also like very little spool up time if possible. I am trying to decide between the on3 76mm turbo with the .81a/r exhaust housing or the 70mm with the .68a/r exhaust housing. any help here? also do the on3 wastegates work alright? anyone have experience with them?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I would go with the on3 76 with the largest AR possilble. The .96 minimum and I think they offer one a tad bigger if you call them. It won't cost any more and will work just fine with the 4.8 motor. It will let it breath a tad better. The other option would be the ebay gt45 that everyone uses. It has a slightly larger turbine mated with either a 70 or 76mm compressor. As cheap or cheaper than the On3 turbos.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a specific company people have had the best luck with? At what rpm do you think the gt45 would spool up at with the 4.8?

Quick Reply: Turbo Selection Help