Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

excessive oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default excessive oil leak?

so I just finished my turbo install on my 5.3 and took it for a drive. everything works great except it keeps puking oil from somewhere. best I can tell it is coming from there the 2-bolt drain fitting bolts to the turbo. I took the fitting off, cleaned it, ran a file across it to make sure it is flat, put a good layer of aviation permatex on it but it still leaks. do I have to run a gasket with this? where is the best place to find one? it seems to slowly seep at an idle or normal driving. but if I get into boost it covers the engine bay. could that much oil be coming out of there? it is a garret ball bearing turbo and I am running a .041 restrictor on the oil feed line
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

ok so i pulled that fitting off, made a copper gasket for it, and it seemed to stop under idle and regular driving. but get into boost and it douses the engine bay again. I pulled the feed line fitting and re-teflon wrapped it and put it back on. still the same problem. wtf am I missing here? i didn't think it would be that hard to get a return line to seal
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What size is the drain/return line? is it free of kinks? Where does it drain to ... on the pan? pics?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Not exactly recommending this but I had a similar problem with the Chinese NPT threads in a fuel regulator. Eventually just JB Welded the fittings in to cure it. No big deal since they were AN fittings that didn't need to come out anyway. If it's a banjo fitting it needs a crush washer on both sides of the fitting.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

well I found the problem. there was still a layer of old gasket material on the turbo where the adapter fitting bolts to and it was very uneven. scraped it all off, siliconed both sides of my copper gasket, re-installed and nice and dry now. but to answer your question BMF my drain line is a -10 , runs straight down and goes in to the front passenger side corner of the pan. I also found out that part of my leak is the supply fitting. I had an 1/8" npt to -4 fitting in it and was informed that the supply fitting actually should be an SAE fitting to seal properly. engine bay is staying dry now, just gotta clean up all the oil it already spewed everywhere :/
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

good deal! sucks it made a mess but all part of it.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

yeah, I'm just glad it was an easy fix. my luck usually isn't that good lol

Quick Reply: excessive oil leak?