Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter boot replacement or any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter boot replacement or any ideas?

I have had some noise i was hearing threw the shifter area and was wondering if there was another boot (after market, corvette, anything) that could help me keep the noise out more in the cabin or any ideas that could help

thanks guys
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you search through the site, there are a few threads on alternatives until someone picks up the OEM design again.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my console and installed a Mr. Gasket rubber Super Boot. The console probably would fit over it I just liked it better with no console. I believe Redline leather makes custom boots and they are a sponser.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FST SS
I removed my console and installed a Mr. Gasket rubber Super Boot. The console probably would fit over it I just liked it better with no console. I believe Redline leather makes custom boots and they are a sponsor.
I also wanted to do this with the same, or a Hurst boot.

Did you cover the rusty parking brake lever/assembly/brackets with anything when you did this, or did you just leave all of that exposed??

6LE (used to be a site sponsor??) also makes a suede/alcantara boot for our cars.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed my console and installed a Mr. Gasket rubber Super Boot. The console probably would fit over it I just liked it better with no console. I believe Redline leather makes custom boots and they are a sponser.
Please post some pics of your set up.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry I can't post any pics yet. I removed the console and made a "mini console from a piece of walnut board apprx. 1/2" thick and about 5" x 6". Bolted that to where the console bolted to under the dash. Then cut a hole in the wood a little smaller than the Mr. Gasket boot and stuck the boot through the hole. That part turned out really good but I'm still working on covering up the parking break machanisim. I will try and get some pics. With a Hurst billitplus linkage, short chrome stick and Hurst T-handle it looks kinda old school.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I can't post any pics yet. I removed the console and made a "mini console from a piece of walnut board apprx. 1/2" thick and about 5" x 6". Bolted that to where the console bolted to under the dash. Then cut a hole in the wood a little smaller than the Mr. Gasket boot and stuck the boot through the hole. That part turned out really good but I'm still working on covering up the parking break machanisim. I will try and get some pics. With a Hurst billitplus linkage, short chrome stick and Hurst T-handle it looks kinda old school.
Sounds like a pretty cool set up, I would like to get rid of my center console to save some weight but I don't want it to look all ghetto Your set up sounds like it works really well and looks good also. Hopefully you can post some pics in the future.

Quick Reply: shifter boot replacement or any ideas?