Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Necessary to replace cam bearings (after hot tank)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Necessary to replace cam bearings (after hot tank)

I'm having a machine shop do a rebuild of my ls3 block for a 416 stroker. The block has been hot tanked a couple times (most recently after grinding the rod bolt clearance at the bottom of the bore). I went to test fit the camshaft (comp cams, new cam) and not only was it very tight just to install, it also was nearly impossible to spin.

I took the cam back out, measured to make sure it was still in spec (2.1657 was largest). Then set a bore gauge to measure clearance from 2.166, and I was getting 0.002- 0.0025 clearance measured. I also used a bearing scrapper to clean the bearings, and a bit of scotch-brite to smooth it out. I used some light oil and re-installed the cam, and it goes in easy and spins now, but with a bit of resistance. It is also worth noting the rest of the block is bare, the mains are not in, which I hear makes a difference?

As I was researching I noticed some comments from SBC guys that when you hot tank you 'have' to replace the cam bearings? Is this true? and why? Could that be the cause for my bearing tightness?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bearings need to come out before it goes in the tank. That's the only way you'll get the oil galleys clean. Not sure what the aluminum cleaning solution will do to bearings, the stronger stuff they use on iron blocks will destroy them...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Why would it block the oil galley? the hole in the cam bearing is bigger than the oil galley hole? I figure the solvents used today are much less caustic than the solvents of the 80s when it might have eaten material...
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam bearings are so cheap, why worry about it? Just have the machine shop knock the old ones out and put new ones in.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Because I'm doing the work, and proper cam bearing install is critical, and not something I want do mess up, or be afraid I did. The cam bearings that are in it have less than 9k miles on them.

On subject, talked with several shops/experts today... Sounds like its no problem.

I polished the crank journals down to nominal size, finished cleaning up the bearings. Put it back in with the main caps torqued on and I can spin it with the tab. It has resistance, but it spins.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicedh22
Why would it block the oil galley? the hole in the cam bearing is bigger than the oil galley hole? I figure the solvents used today are much less caustic than the solvents of the 80s when it might have eaten material...
You're misunderstanding things. The bearings are removed because there will be crud inside the oil galley behind them that will remain there if they are not removed before the block is cleaned.

Quick Reply: Necessary to replace cam bearings (after hot tank)