Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Z28 LS1 - Cam, Headers, Intake - QUESTIONS! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 LS1 - Cam, Headers, Intake - QUESTIONS! HELP!

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a 1999 ish z28 LS1. I'll be looking for something with low miles and more than likely auto trans.

I want a street cruiser that is reliable so nothing crazy for hp, somewhere around 450 whp give or take. Can I achieve this without modifying the stock auto trans? I won't be bagging on it all the time but I will have fun once in a while.

If this is doable without wrecking my transmisson, what is the most cost effective route to take the get these numbers? Intake, exhaust, cam, headers etc?

Or a low boost turbo set up?

I have friends that can help me with labor so thats not an issue, I just want something cost effective and reliable. Keep in mind when giving advice on parts to install I may be adding a turbo and building tranny later, but not for sure.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends on what your budget looks like. Most people go the heads and cam route (you have to have an exhaust as well). The heads/cam setup in my sig made 500 rwhp on another board members car. You won't have to "build" the transmission per say. A 3200 or higher stall would be good and maybe a shift kit too.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,093 Posts

To get 450rwhp with a stock displacement NA auto, you'll need a H/C package that will require you to rev well beyond the stock rpm limit that the 4L60E was desiged for. That additional rpm, in addition to the increased power/torque, is most definitely going to shorten the life of a stock 4L60E. Just how long it will last all depends on the condition that it's in when you start the build, and how aggressively you drive it.

You'd probably get a litte better life span from the stock trans if you were to aim for your power goals with a larger displacement engine or with a power adder, thus allowing you to keep rpms lower and within the stock range for the factory trans.

Either way, I would definitely budget for a well built 4L60E though, if you don't want to worry about it. Especially if the car you buy has any sort of mileage on it.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To hit that number a 100-125 shot of nitrous with a few simple bolt ons would be the cheapest, easiest, and most effective route. Otherwise I agree with what has been mentioned above

Quick Reply: Z28 LS1 - Cam, Headers, Intake - QUESTIONS! HELP!