General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need advice on build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on build

Ok guys Last summer I bought a 98 camaro ss with 99,000 miles, after only putting 2,000 miles on it the transmission went out. knowing I wanted to potentially make this car a street/strip car I sent the transmission out and had it rebuilt, which is now good for a rating of 600hp. Its a auto car When I had the transmission out I wanted to do a stall but thought Id wait a little. Few weeks later took it down the strip and lost all oil pressure after third pass and started knocking bad. I bought a long block out of a 2001 camaro ss with 47k miles on it for 1,000. I now have $4,000 to build this motor a little. my main conerns are should I do knew pistons or crank? or run with what I have? It has a set of 241's but Id like to do ls6 heads keep in mind I have $4,000 to build this motor and would like to see mid 400's to the tire and buy a stall any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can ask , but why not do a little research and see what others have done on this site? Seems your on the right track upgrading the heads, Id like to tell you what you could buy and 100 other guys will tell you or argue what to do..A lot depends if this is mostly street driving or weekend warrior/track stuff. Take the time and research this site, alot to be learned here. to answer your question, if the motor is tight which it seems, then invest in quality bolt ons, and go from there depending what suits your expectations/needs.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a solid motor, you dont have a need to build a new bottom end especially if your staying N/A and only shooting for 450ish hp. go with a cam, a nice set of heads, LS6 or fast intake and do some suspension work for the track!

Quick Reply: need advice on build