Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Grinding in 3rd & 4th

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Grinding in 3rd & 4th

I have a 99 Trans Am with a T56. For the first 15 minutes of driving, even on warm days, it will grind going into 3rd and 4th gear. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I shift. I had a pro 5.0 shifter put in recently and it seemed to start after that. The car has 129,000 miles on it and seems to have been well maintained by the previous owner. Would the stops on the shifter cause this if they are not adjusted properly? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have the clutch all the way in? :p
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

back off the shifter stops all the way (they're not needed) and maybe try changing the fluid with some fresh atf. if it still does it the synchros are probably on their way out and its time to pull it and rebuild
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Well I undid the stops and it is still doing it. I bought the car in November and had the issue where it wouldn't go into reverse without slamming it in and holding it. My mechanic took it apart in January and told me that the shifter (piece of junk no name) was loose and not providing the pressure to shift it properly. I bought a pro 5.0 and he installed it. After that it was still popping out of reverse so he ground down the shift fork and put a 1/8" washer in to move it over. It shifted great then. I drove it maybe 300 miles after that and now it grinds into 3rd and 4th for the first 15 minutes of driving. after that it is fine. If I shift at WOT it will grind into pretty much any gear. From what I've read on here, it sounds like the drill mod needs to be done for the high RPM shifts. As far as 3rd and 4th gear, does it sound like synchros? Would Pennzoil ATF cause issues?

Quick Reply: T56 Grinding in 3rd & 4th