General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS issue, much like anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS issue, much like anyone else

99 Firebird T/A, factory everything. Started a couple weeks ago when my car wouldnt start. Saw the security light and figured I'd try a couple of "resets," removing the battery for 24 hours, wiping the key, turned key to 'on' for 10 minutes, off for 10 seconds and try to start. Nothing.

I see people doing bypasses with mixed reviews. Even seen some posts of people having this problem for years. Not looking for a quick fix, I'll do the work to make it straight but I do want a permanent fix.

Thanks guys
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

My 99 camaro would do that but only on a really hot day ? The only way is to turn the key back and not move it for a couple minutes until the security light goes away. So far as a permanent fix I'm not sure. I never looked into it that far but I did have a couple of occasions but like I said only on a really hot day
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the vatts bypass with the resistor. Try that and see if that fixes it first.If your security light goes out and your car starts,then your problem is in your key cylinder.
Ohm out the two white wires when you disconnect the vatts connector with the key in the ignition and you should get the resistance of the key pellet. Like I said do the vatts bypass first. 99camaroSS gives you the link on his post. If you have any problems let us know.

Last edited by transwiz; 04-29-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Update

No juice at all to start it. I got my ignition cylinder and tried to put it in with half luck. I got all the **** out to install it but the space to feed the wire was too small, I had to manhandle the old wire out and even it stripped from the casing. So I'm at square one of trying to install this ignition cylinder, which was indeed damaged causing my car to not start at all instead of sometimes. I'm pretty much faced with taking it to a shop since I've searched this forum all day with no real help, besides the write up that got me to at least remove the bad cylinder.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Took her to the shop to get my cylinder replaced. Security light never came back on so it was definitely the key and cylinder going out.

I guess a tip for people with VATS issues: Check your key and cylinder first. The wires are super thin and are probably wearing out.

Quick Reply: VATS issue, much like anyone else