LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Y pipe for Hooker LT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe for Hooker LT's

Well I tried asking in another thread and did a quick search but didn't really find an answer. So hopefully i can get a quick answer with this thread. I hope to buy some used Hooker Long Tube Headers this weekend, I just want to know what y pipe I can use. I don't really want to spend the $200+ on a hooker y pipe. Can I use cheaper ones like pacesetter, etc?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can try something else but there's certainly no guarantee it'll fit. You can't rely on other manufacturers' components to fit together without a problem. If you do go with another y-pipe prepare to do some modifications to get them to fit.

Short version - it always pays to get the right parts.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Best y-pipe is finding a good exhaust shop that will make you a y-pipe that actually fits the underside without making unnecessary contact to the underside.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I'm interested in this as well. Iv heard the pacesetter y fits with minor modification. I had the local exhaust shop fab my y for my hookers and it works but i think there's gotta be a better replacement out there somewhere..
Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Best y-pipe is finding a good exhaust shop that will make you a y-pipe that actually fits the underside without making unnecessary contact to the underside.
My only problem is that I'm on a highschooler budget. I'm not trying to take shortcuts, just looking for a happy middle between everything. Could this route be done cheaper than buying new? Also if I got the hookers, couldn't I just cut the three hole flange thing off and then use a band clamp to any y pipe?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM

I recently put the hooker Lt.'s on and the y-pipe but it still occasionally hits on the left side at the tranny x-member. I think I'll drop the cross member and do some modification to it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hooker y-pipe is probably going to be cheaper than having a decent exhaust shop custom make you a y-pipe. A crappy shop could probably hack together a piece of crap for cheaper.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallj
My only problem is that I'm on a highschooler budget. I'm not trying to take shortcuts, just looking for a happy middle between everything. Could this route be done cheaper than buying new? Also if I got the hookers, couldn't I just cut the three hole flange thing off and then use a band clamp to any y pipe?
I'm sure that would work. I've never bought a pre-made one so I'm not sure if they are supposed to fit the intermediate pipe? That may take some modification too. You may be able to buy one and it may fit no problem. Worse case is you buy one, it doesn't fit right and you take it to a shop to have it fit and end up paying as much or more than if you were to have one pre-fabbed.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Valkyn
The hooker y-pipe is probably going to be cheaper than having a decent exhaust shop custom make you a y-pipe. A crappy shop could probably hack together a piece of crap for cheaper.
I figured that would be the case. What about my idea with cutting the 3 hole flange off and using a slip fit y pipe with clamps like other headers? I know most people would just leave it how it came, but I don't see why my idea wouldn't work. Any input on that?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

If I was to just go ahead and get the hooker y pipe, where would be the cheapest place?

Quick Reply: Y pipe for Hooker LT's