LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Almost got her done.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Almost got her done.

Hey every one. For once I am happy to report good news. I picked the TA up from the exhaust shop on the trailer today and she sounds great. Once I got her home and took her down the road for a easy drive I noticed a few things. The biggest issue seems to be a voltage/charging issue. The car has been apart for about 2 months and now will not charge.

I tested the back of the alternator and it seems to be making about 12.1 volts. At the battery it also shows 12.0 volts. I tried attaching a 8 gauge wire to the alternator and frame to see if it might have been a grounding issue. The car will run off of the battery if I need it too and I had it running in the drive way for about 10 minutes so I don’t think it’s the battery.

The second issue could be related to the charging system or maybe from not having a tune yet but under mild acceleration it seems to hesitate a little. I have not tried to go WOT yet and don’t plan to until the car is tuned and all other issues are corrected.

I will post up some pics and a video in a little bit.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to list the cars details.
1997 OBD-2 Trans am 4L60 car.
Precision convertor
LT4 hot cam with 1.6 RRs
.030 over bore with surfaced/ported LT1 heads (stock valves)
Estimated compression 10.8~11.0
Hooker long tubes into magnaflow exhaust (no cats)
AC system, EGR, AIR, Deletes
edelbrock 58mm TB
MSD wires with NGK Laser Platinum plugs gaped .050
K&N intake
Poly motor and trans mounts
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Teching In

You need a new alternator. An alternator should make more than 13.4v so that it will charge the battery. Checking the resistance of the wire is not a bad idea.

A new tune will be needed with the lt4 hot cam and I am 99% sure that is why it is hesistant because that is what my car was doing when it wouldn't pass emission.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured the mods may be a little much for the stock tune. For some reason the car has not kicked a check engine light surprisingly.

On another side note:
The engine oil dip stick tube was in bad shape so I need to replace it. for the time being is there a easy way to cap the port for the tube. I am assuming I could use a bolt or something like that but was hoping some one might know the size so I have something to start off with. This is only to load the car on the trailer and for storage NOT FOR DRIVING.

Quick Reply: Almost got her done.