Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case

Hello!

After some searching on google I've found this forum as it seems to basically be an LS bible!

I own a 1988 Defender 90 which has had various Rover V8 engines over the years. I've decided I want to go for more power and an LS 2/3 seems like the best option. My plan is to get 400+hp through a manual transmission. I don't really want to use any of the original Land Rover transmission etc.. SO need some help on options for a manual gearbox and a different transfer case. Hopefully looking to get something that will all bolt straight onto each other and then just have some custom prop shafts made up (one day will be changing the LR axles to something more capable of handling the power)

What do folks recommend? I'm lucky enough to have a full workshop and will be doing 95% of the work myself (wiring is the only thing a friend will be helping me out with)

Thanks in advance!

Bob (Based in Yorkshire, England)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You'd maybe be better in the conversions section.

I know that the LS has been used in the Bowler vehicles...maybe get in touch to see what trans they use ?

The other option is based around Toyota gear. There are various bellhousings tec available for fitting the LS and other engines into the likes of a HiLux, and it's trans would be far more robust than the Landrover's

If you arent already registered, another place to try is here http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/

Certainly one user there has a small block in some 4wd vehicle http://www.mez.co.uk/

Not sure what trans that uses, but the bellhousing bolt pattern of the older SBC and LS is pretty close ( 1 bolt differs )
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a bigger job than you want. The LR uses a right-hand swing T-case and most LSX -compatible stuff would be a left hand swing....this would mean you need axle swaps as well.
You will want to get enough end gearing to launch the vehicle.... it's pretty heavy...so go through the total gear multiplication when picking stuff.
aia would like to see this done. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

NV4500 5speed is probably the most affordable manual transmission. Atlas makes a transfer case that I believe can be made to have the front driveshaft exit on either side.

Whatever road you take this will be an expensive undertaking to make it reliable and take abuse.

Toyota '93-97 LandCruiser axle swap is an option to be looked into as well. Some featured factory lockers front/rear and they are setup for coil springs. Front is 8" ring gear... rear is comparable to a Dana60 (9.5" ring gear).

Quick Reply: Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case