Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of gear after header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out of gear after header install

Hello Ls1techs I am new to the forums. Yesterday I got my a friend who installed my bbk longtubes and spark plugs and wires. Before I took the car over it shifted perfect. It has a pro 5.0 which is only a few months old if that. Car is a 98 ws6 with only 68k miles. He knows what hes doing as hes done others. He said he didnt mess with the tranny at all. Car popsout of reverse 1st and 3rd. Also it seems as if 6th isnt where it should be I push all the way to right and down and theres no gear there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Merta-W-S-6
Hello Ls1techs I am new to the forums. Yesterday I got my a friend who installed my bbk longtubes and spark plugs and wires. Before I took the car over it shifted perfect. It has a pro 5.0 which is only a few months old if that. Car is a 98 ws6 with only 68k miles. He knows what hes doing as hes done others. He said he didnt mess with the tranny at all. Car popsout of reverse 1st and 3rd. Also it seems as if 6th isnt where it should be I push all the way to right and down and theres no gear there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Im not familiar with the Pro 5.0 shifter, I've only had the hurst verisions. Does that shifter have adjustable shift stops? If so they might have vibrated loose and moved in casuing an issue.

The only other 2 things I can think of is, the one has personally happend to me, with only 50,000 miles on the trans . Inside the t-56 on the shifter forks are plastic. YES plastic shift pads. I can only guess they are they for noise reuduction. I had one pad on the I think it was the 3 gear shift fork break, making it hard to shift to third and I could never get into fifth I think it was. So I was going 1-2-4-6 in shifting. The Shift fork would shift sideways while I was shifting causing binding.

You could have any of those pads break?

Also depending on the year on the trans, and I don't remember if there was a cross over year or weather it was all 98-02 t56's. They had an aluminum 3 gear shift fork and they had a tendency to bend a little or crack after hard repeated shifts.

It could be either of those or none. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Steve
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to make sure the shifter stops didnt back out and are blocking you out. If not I'm afraid the trans has to come out. Most likely you have an issue with the shift forks or keys not letting the gears fully engage. It is weird though that it happened right after the header install. All t56's in fbodys had aluminum 3-4 forks but I doubt thats the issue honestly.

If you do a rebuild I honestly dont prefer the bronze pad replacements. I've heard and seen them wear very fast when daily driven. I prefer either the stock ones, vespel viper pads or tdp's version of the bronze pads as they have better wear charactoristics
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason some "bronze" pads wear so fast is because they ar not bronze....some people equate brass and bronze. Brass pads do not belong here. The Vespel are the best but just like the bronze, they should be epoxied in place.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=redbird555;17385836]Check to make sure the shifter stops didnt back out and are blocking you out. If not I'm afraid the trans has to come out. Most likely you have an issue with the shift forks or keys not letting the gears fully engage. It is weird though that it happened right after the header install. All t56's in fbodys had aluminum 3-4 forks but I doubt thats the issue honestly.]

Thats true all did, I checked, I upgraded my trans to a better 3-4 fork for strength. Orginal t-56s had plastic pads and mine Cracked and fell of the fork. As I said eairlier I went to I beleave it was brass but Ill have to double check. It was better then the crappy stock ones that broke after 50,000 miles. Just for the record I believe they transfer a little noirse under acel up the the shifter. But Ill be shocked if they ever break again.

Your going to have to crawl under and make sure everything looks right..

Bottom line is most likely the trans has to be pulled.... Not a big deal at al and the case split to see what the forks and everything else looks like.

Steve

Quick Reply: Popping out of gear after header install