LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Overfill?

Had my car at tires plus a few months ago and trusted them for those months and I checked the oil today and it was almost a half mark over the cross-hatchet mark. Its filled up to the little circle thing. Should I drain some out? Im not sure if there is 5.5 or 7 quarts. Dont want to damage the motor with too much oil. Plus do the stock LT1’s come with windage trays?

Im going to try and run it and check the oil while the car is on. See where the level is at then.

I started getting suspicion after I started the car on a warm start-up and I revved it to about 2000rpm then when the rpms dropped I heard a squeaking noise. Went away after I drove it for awhile.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Overfilling is bad. You end up dipping the crank counterweights in the oil which aerate the oil. The air that's in the oil displaces that much oil and as we all know air is not a lubricant so it isn't doing your bearings any favors.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I change my own oil or do anything else to it for that matter. I don't trust other people with my car.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Half a quart won't hurt a thing, other than slowing your car down a tad.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
This is why I change my own oil or do anything else to it for that matter. I don't trust other people with my car.
Had a buddy that worked at oil exchange, said they only changed the filter if it "visually looke bad"

People these days
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys with the update:

I drained about 1 quart out and check the level when off and it read just a hair right above the cross hatchet mark and right below the pointed aero. Let it ran for awhile and I checked it and saw little tiny bubbles on the dipstick. Should I take some more out till im in the top of the cross hatchet or will I be ok? I know bubbly oil is bad. For the 40,000miles of been driving it ive kept it just above the cross hatchet = 5.5-6 quarts.

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill?