General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Running Rough and rich under throttle - why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running Rough and rich under throttle - why?

I'm on the highway pretty far from home and just notices that when I give the car any gas the AFR gauge drops to 10 (lowest value it shows) and it runs a little rough like its trying to accelerate but can't. Any idea what's going on? O2 sensor or MAF issues are all I can think of. Sucks having car troubles far from home!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

And I am not throwing any codes.

I also just started having another issue two days ago which I wouldn't think is related at all except for the timing of the two.

My car showed that it was overheating, but when I turned the heat on it was cold. This made me think either the thermostat was stuck closed or that my electric water pump died.

I let the car cool for a bit and fires it up about 15 min later and its been fine for the last two days. I just tried driving my car after pulling of the road for the first issue (running bad as rich under load) and it's doing the overheating but cold cabin air on "heat" again.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

How bad would it be to keep driving with the running rough issue?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mite be a bad fuel regulator .have your O2 sensors scanned.clean your MAF sensor.check out how GM O2 sensors should function on Utube.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got back on the highway and after about 30sec it started driving fine and THEN threw a code which turned out to be an O2 sensor error. It's ran fine ever since. Odd.

I tracked the intermittent overheating down to the electric water pump's relay. Swapped it out and good as new!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you need a new 02 sensor(s).....

Scan it.

And NO......an 02 sensor failing on our cars will NOT always throw a code and give you the SES light. A lot of our PCMs will only show a code when it totally fails or when the engine is running HORRIBLY from being so pig rich.

Quick Reply: Running Rough and rich under throttle - why?