Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch soft when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch soft when cold

I have been having clutch problems ever since I bought my 98 z28 in September. Last year I found out the slave cylinder was leaking and the fluid was very dark and empty. I didn't know it was the slave just yet because it didn't leak out of the bell housing yet. So I replaced the master cylinder, didn't solve the problem so I replaced the slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel with monster parts (stage 1). Then when the car was cold the clutch would be soft, have lots of play and was hard to get into gear/grind. Thats when I parked it for the year. In April I pulled the transmission, replaced the slave cylinder and added a speed bleeder. It worked good the first day but the next time I drove it 5 days later, same problem. What is my next step? Replace master again? Ive read people having similar problems (not on my car or similar). They said that the seals, when cold could be leaking/bypassing fluid and expanding and sealing when warm. could this be my problem, because it is directly related to temperature. Also when I replaced the slave the 2nd time I tested the master by pressing the pedal when slave like was disconnected, it was very hard and didn't move. But that could be when the seals where warm enough to... seal.

So with all that, any options would be very helpful.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What (brand) master did you replace the original one with?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a parts store master. Im on a budget and can't afford a tick.

Quick Reply: Clutch soft when cold