Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone here spray matte single stage and or matte clear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone here spray matte single stage and or matte clear?

I've been toying with a lot of SEM hot rod black lately and I was wondering if anyone else shoots a lot of matte colors. Whether it be matte single stage or matte clear.

I haven't had much luck getting different batches to dry with the same level of glossiness (or lack thereof should I say).

Not too big of a deal when doing small batches that don't get seen together. But I'm trying to put a finger on what factors play into the gloss factor.

I have not played with any matte clear so this more applys to single stage, but I'm all ears for any insight.

I have a feeling the major factor is how wet of a coat is sprayed, humidity being the second major factor.

I've seen these different gloss levels with both the SEM 2k paint and some cheap lacquer matte paint. Hell one time I tryed spraying summit brand "hot rod black" and it came out glossy as glossy could get! I'm not sure if I got a mislabeled can or what, because I set that stuff aside and never used it again.

Soooo any painters in here have any ideas?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would get a sheet and see what the specs are for amount of coats and dry times ect... its been a while since I have sprayed the SEM matte. but I spray a single stage at work that when mixed 5-1 its full gloss. when you mix it 6-1 its a semi gloss. so see what the sheet says and just follow it exactly. I would say its different amounts of catalists that is causing the variance for you...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
I would get a sheet and see what the specs are for amount of coats and dry times ect... its been a while since I have sprayed the SEM matte. but I spray a single stage at work that when mixed 5-1 its full gloss. when you mix it 6-1 its a semi gloss. so see what the sheet says and just follow it exactly. I would say its different amounts of catalists that is causing the variance for you...
That's just it, the sheet just alludes the the possibility of gloss variance, but doesn't go into any detail how so besides blanket statements about gun setup, temp, and not using their catalyst. It would be nice to know if hotter temp=more/less satin, higher humidity=more/less satin, etc. This stuff is a bit pricy to play with all day to find out myself.

I guess Im going to have to bight the bullet, buy a kit/ some extra catalyst and play with it myself if no one's got any general ideas.

I suppose I could call SEM, but as of late every time I get a hold of large companys tech support, 9 times out of 10 I get some drone that doesn't know his *** from his face. I've just kinda gave up trying to get info direct from companies in most instances, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

---------
Shake or stir thoroughly. Mix by volume: 4 : 1 : 1
HR014 HRC06 HRR06
NOTE: Use of additives other than HRC06 and HRR06 are not recommended and will affect both
the appearance and performance of HOT ROD BLACK.

---------
1. Set air pressure to: 40-45 psi non-HVLP
8-10 psi at the cap for HVLP equipment
2. Use a gun equipped with a 1.3 - 1.4 nozzle.
3. Spray one medium-wet coat keeping the gun 5-7” from the substrate. Allow to flash dry, approximately
10-15 minutes.
4. Spray a second medium-wet coat and allow an additional 10-15 minutes before baking for 30 minutes
at 120°F, or air dry for approximately 16 hours.
NOTE: Always spray a test panel to ensure desired gloss level. Variations in temperature
and gun set up can affect the final gloss of HOT ROD BLACK.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sprayed 2 cars with SEM so far, both seem to have came out about the same. I'm not sure if you now of Keystone/LKQ but keystone has a kit for $50. I have some of it, seems about the same
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
sprayed 2 cars with SEM so far, both seem to have came out about the same. I'm not sure if you now of Keystone/LKQ but keystone has a kit for $50. I have some of it, seems about the same
Nope I haven't heard of that. I have seen "hot rod flatz", which I read worked good. I heard it was a PPG single stage with a flattening agent pre mixed in but I can't confirm that.

Quick Reply: Anyone here spray matte single stage and or matte clear?