Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine wont turn after transmission installation? TC IS seated properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont turn after transmission installation? TC IS seated properly

okay please bear with me. i'm using the good old fashioned hot rodding method of getting more power by doing an engine swap. this is the SECOND time i'm having issues installing my transmission and i'm desperate for help-

the first time i blew the oil pump in transmission because i didn't know the torque converter wasn't fully seated on the oil pump "tangs" and forced the engine to the tranny. stupid move, but at 21 years old and no prior experience i'm not too upset with myself. it drove fine for maybe 50 miles but all of the sudden at a stop light the car wouldn't move in any gear. pulled the tranny fluid line and nothing came out so i was sure the oil pump was shot.

so i ordered another used transmission and also a remanufactured torque converter (since i didn't want the metal particles from my blown oil pump in the new tranny). i know FOR SURE the torque converter was seated (also had someone else verify the torque converter was seated). it went over one set of splines, the second set of splines, and then "Dropped" another quarter inch or so onto the oil pump tangs. good to go right?

for safe measure i even used string to tie the torque converter onto the tranny bellhousing so it couldn't "slip off" the oil pump tangs. i throw the new tranny under the car, put it in place(couple inches from engine bellhousing), then cut the string used to hold the TC in place. TC didn't seem to move at all and from eye balling it, the TC is still seated just as deep as it should be. the engine and tranny come together A LOT easier than when i didn't have the oil pump tangs engaged so i thought i was good to go. slid the nipple on the TC into the flywheel hole and bolt up the engine and tranny without any issues.

now i can't get the engine to turn over by hand?! what gives?

so i decided to unbolt the tranny and engine entirely, slid the tranny back a few inches and doubled checked to make sure the nipple on the TC was still in the flywheel...also double checked the TC seating and everything looks good (i have an extra transmission i can use for reference as far as the TC seating not being correct so I'm sure the TC is seated properly)

engine turns over fine, torque converter spins freely....

put it back together and low and behold, the engine still doesn't want to turn over by hand. i tried changing gear on the tranny with no luck and i also disconnected the driveshaft from the tranny in case that was locking it up.

the tranny output flange spun freely so i doubt the tranny is bad

any ideas? i'm going to be extremely pissed if i went through all of this trouble getting another transmission and taking a couple days to make sure my TC was seated properly just to find out i blew another oil pump....
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM

also there is a gap between the torque converter and flywheel still, so i'm pretty sure the TC is seated properly because this wasn't the case when i forced them together last time

idk if i want to cry or start punching things lol this is extremely frustrating
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the transmission is bolted up to the engine, remove the converter bolts from the flex plate and see if you can spin the converter. It should spin freely.

Are you trying to rotate the engine using a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt? It should be pretty snug to rotate, but it should rotate with decent force.
The following users liked this post:
reddrago99 (07-05-2021)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM

well that's part of the problem. i cant get the flex plate bolts into the torque converter in the first place. but the torque converter is NOT spinning freely. what am i missing here?

from what i read, you should be able to "slide" the torque converter towards and away from, the flex plate. but i haven't tried this because im afraid of pulling the TC off the oil pump tangs again...

and yes im using the main pully on the front of the engine to turn the drivetrain. it feels snug and turns with some force when i unbolt the tranny, but when i bolt up the tranny im literally about to rip the car off the jack stands if i try to turn the engine (exageration but you get my point)

edit: if the TC wasn't seated properly and the nipple on the TC wasn't in the flex plate then i don't see why the engine and tranny bolted together fairly easily..

luckily i have an extra flex plate from my old engine in case i bent it somehow.,..

Last edited by ctravis595; 05-16-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

So you are saying there is a gap between the converter pads and the flexplate holes but the converter will not rotate easily? You do not want to tighten any of the transmission bolts until the transmission can be pushed forward to mate to the block and still have appx 1/8" between the TC and flexplate. The TC should spin free before trying to install the converter bolts. It sounds like the converter needs one more click inward to engage the pump to the converter.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

When the TC is fully engaged into the pump, it is still very easy to turn. You should notice that as turn the TC to insert the first bolt.
But it sounds like you cannot get the first bolt in because you cannot turn the TC? If true there is something seriously wrong here.
You will need to pull the TC all the way out and confirm that you can turn the pump tabs with just a small screwdriver and very little force.

BTW - You can pull the TC out by about 1/2" before it disengages from the pump.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM

i spoke with james over the phone in case anybody thinks im trying to ignore him

but the torque converter spins freely when its not bolted to the engine, even on the oil pump tangs. it just locks up (along with the engine) when bolted to the engine
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Simple thought, but maybe check the starter?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 PM

Very strange. Something basic is wrong here.
You are sure this is a 300mm input shaft trans and an LS compatible converter?
And there is NO spacer on the flexplate?

Do you have in/out movement of the TC when the trans is bolted up?
You should! (Min of 1/16, max of 3/16; add washers if more.)
If you do and the engine is still locked up, then the starter or some stray bolt is engaging the flexplate.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 AM

to clear things up, this is not for an ls car. this is actually for my mercedes. but i come here because i know american hot rodders are the only ones who know anything about cars in the first place and i respect your knowledge. if i asked about mating a tranny and engine on the mercedes forum they'd tell me to check my engine codes

im gonna take the tranny off the engine tomorrow to see what's up
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ctravis595
to clear things up, this is not for an ls car. this is actually for my mercedes. but i come here because i know american hot rodders are the only ones who know anything about cars in the first place and i respect your knowledge. if i asked about mating a tranny and engine on the mercedes forum they'd tell me to check my engine codes

im gonna take the tranny off the engine tomorrow to see what's up
Ha, I fully understand that! I also have a BMW and must say that the BMW forums are also very technical and competent.

Well, the principles are the same, but the details will be different.
Good luck.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the TC pilot "nipple" clear the pilot hole in the end of the crank (measure both diameters).
Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM

an update - seems i was doing everything correctly. took the tranny off and tried to put the torque converter up to the flywheel without the tranny only to figure out that the torque converter is too big. the fools sent me the torque converter for a chrysler instead of the mercedes version (similar transmission, different flywheel)

extremely irritated with all the time i've wasted trying to figure this out. but thank you all, especially james, with the help in getting this sorted out. i knew i'd come to the right place. cheers

Quick Reply: engine wont turn after transmission installation? TC IS seated properly