General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC questions

My TA's AC took a dump on me and I took it to a shop to see if he could tell me if there was any metal in the system and when I picked it up he said there was. So I now have to buy all new parts etc etc... I plan on going all OEM part from stealership so I don't have to worry about crappy rebuilt stuff.

I have the repair manual for my car and it tells me how much oil I should add for every part that I will replace. My question is should I put the specified amount of oil in each part?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you buy the parts, the papers with it tell you wether
its already filled or not.

only part i know will always be prefilled is compressor.

and search for OEM suppier parts.

you do NOT need to only buy from a dealersip.

plenty of places sell ACDelco, BOSCH, and DELPHI
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how are you going to vacuum and charge the system?
if you are getting parts from the dealer or staying OEM, then I assume you also will want the warranty that comes with the new compressor. most likely the dealer or any shop will not honor any warranty if you do the work, and the compressor manufacturer will not honor a warranty unless a licensed AC shop does the work or you can substantially prove everything was installed properly.
regarding the oil, since you are doing all new parts minus the evap you will have flushed the evap and all the lines out so there will be no oil in the system. like was said only part that is pre-filled is compressor. The ac system in the f-body holds 1.5 lbs of r134a and i forget how many ounces of pag oil. the best way is to drain the new compressor of oil because that oil is only in there for shipping and testing purposes and it's not an exact amount. Then install and hook up all your lines then inject the correct amount of oil into the system during the evacuation/charging process. this way you have fresh oil from a sealed container that has not been exposed to the atmosphere for however long. check the compressor manufacturer for the correct ISO viscosity to use for the compressor, the 3 used are ISO 46, 100, and 150.

http://www.autoactech.com/issues.htm

Last edited by 1 FMF; 05-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 058mydust
My TA's AC took a dump on me and I took it to a shop to see if he could tell me if there was any metal in the system and when I picked it up he said there was. So I now have to buy all new parts etc etc... I plan on going all OEM part from stealership so I don't have to worry about crappy rebuilt stuff.

I have the repair manual for my car and it tells me how much oil I should add for every part that I will replace. My question is should I put the specified amount of oil in each part?
Little recommendation....... I never, ever, ever, take my car to the dealership. Except for the AC or when it was covered under warranty. It's been there like 3 times in the 15 years ive owned the car. Once when it was bone stock under warranty and about 1 year old for a failed Crank Shaft Position sensor. Then for a new AC Compressor the second time.

My Pontiac dealership gave me a LIFETIME parts and labor warranty when I had the AC Compressor replaced. So ill never pay for another AC repair again. Yes, it was about $800.00.......but it has already paid off a little bit. Because the third time I went to a dealership is when my AC stopped blowing cold one day about 2 years after the AC work was done. I literally drove there that day, waited for them to tell me what was wrong......and fix it under that warranty. I can't remember exactly what all went wrong but it would have cost a few hundred dollars to repair.....

They fixed it for a cost of ZERO under that parts and labor warranty. It's been fine now for the past 7 years or so.

AC is one of those things that's better left to the dealer so you can get a very good warranty like I did. Most dealerships offer lifetime warranties on AC repairs IF the compressor is replaced by them.

Well worth it.......especially for me in hot *** S. Florida. I'm certain one day in the future ill be taking it there for a new compressor....and it'll be done for free.

Screw all those 60 and 90 day warranties other shops give. That's basically them saying the compressor is probably going to quit pretty soon.......

Quick Reply: AC questions