General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random Service Engine Light came on

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Service Engine Light came on

So this morning there were no issues. I get in my car after work today and I have this light on.. I check the oil and its low and it's been due for a few days but I thought its a little weird that its "check engine" light was on. So I take it to Firestone to get an oil change I get in the car and its still on. Well that didn't work so I run codes and I get

P0440A - Evaporative Emission system.
P1626C - vehicle theft Deterrant fuel enable signal not recievers

And the guy at the counter said that my battery tested as marginal. Will that be a factor with this light? I'm pretty frustrated with this cause this evaporative issue is troubling my wife's scion and our neighbors Buick as well. All three of our cars came from California. I dunno, any advice or experience with this is appreciated.

I've read around and it could be a gas cap loose, major leak or my bent valves are stuck open. And no I just read it could be my CATs? My Z28 has 47.405 on so I'm assuming its still under warranty.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousLS1
So this morning there were no issues. I get in my car after work today and I have this light on.. I check the oil and its low and it's been due for a few days but I thought its a little weird that its "check engine" light was on. So I take it to Firestone to get an oil change I get in the car and its still on. Well that didn't work so I run codes and I get

P0440A - Evaporative Emission system.
P1626C - vehicle theft Deterrant fuel enable signal not recievers

And the guy at the counter said that my battery tested as marginal. Will that be a factor with this light? I'm pretty frustrated with this cause this evaporative issue is troubling my wife's scion and our neighbors Buick as well. All three of our cars came from California. I dunno, any advice or experience with this is appreciated.

I've read around and it could be a gas cap loose, major leak or my bent valves are stuck open. And no I just read it could be my CATs? My Z28 has 47.405 on so I'm assuming its still under warranty.
Nothing about your car would still be under warranty, unless it sat on the dealer lot well past the end of it's model year, and had an initial in-service date later than 5/29/2003.

Neither of those codes have anything to do with the cats. Not sure why anyone would have told you that. EVAP is a system that allows fuel vapor from the gas tank to be expelled into the intake stream and burned with the rest of the intake charge. It has nothing to do with the exhaust system. It appears that some component within the system is leaking or otherwise not functioning properly. The gas cap would be the easiest and first thing to check/replace. This can be a tricky thing to repair if the leak or breakage is not obvious, sometimes a smoke machine is needed to expose a minor leak in an EVAP line somewhere.

As for P1626, I once saw this code on an '02 SS that had loose battery cables. It seems that the code was triggered by poor/intermittent voltage during cranking, which also sometimes resulted in a no-start condition. Getting the cables tightened down solved this problem. So if your battery voltage is as low as they've claimed, that might have something to do with this code popping up.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-29-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like RPM said, check the cables, I have seen both due to low battery voltage. Start there then rerun it for a while and see if that 440 code comes back on

Quick Reply: Random Service Engine Light came on