General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is the best way to identify a rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the best way to identify a rattle?

I am just seeing if anyone has any method for locating a rattle that I cannot for the life of me find. It is in the rear hatch area, spare tire region. It isn't all the time, just some of the time. Not unbearable but really really annoying
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same rattle in my car except I'm pretty sure it's coming from the over-axle piece of my exhaust. I'll look at it eventually..
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Start taking one piece out at a time or find a friend to hop in the back down a wash board road
Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I have a rattle in the same place your describing. Turns out it's the bracket on the over the axle pipe hitting the exhaust hangar clamshell.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
I am just seeing if anyone has any method for locating a rattle that I cannot for the life of me find. It is in the rear hatch area, spare tire region. It isn't all the time, just some of the time. Not unbearable but really really annoying

They are usually pink or light blue colored with noise makers of some type attached so when they are shook really fast they make that rattling noise........and a babies hand can fit right nto the grip on the other end.......

Haha....just kidding......

Take the spare tire and jack out of the car......go for a drive. If the rattle is gone you found you problem. Sometimes the best thing to do is to wrap the tire in a big beach towel and wrap the jack in a separate towel. Problem solved.

Resonance is sometimes a bitch to fix, and its what causes a lot of rattles and vibration. Stop the resonance.....stops the noises.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to identify a rattle?