Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pretty much sure my D1-SC has the wrong impeller! Please, some input.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pretty much sure my D1-SC has the wrong impeller! Please, some input.

Hello.

It is being long since I looked for leaks into my D1-SC Procharger system. I got rid from the hoses and went to pipes, swaped the connection, swaped the clamps, 3.4 in pulley, ChevyChad pulley mod, new boost gauge (just in case), new bypass valve, etc

A year ago, I spoke with the Procharger guys, and provided them with my serial number, and they told me: "Rodolfo, you got the right turbine, is a D1-SC for a LS1 F-body", so I went, "ok", I have to keep looking somewhere else... Build a cheap leak tester, and see whats going on... Well, today while swaping the bearings of the belt tensioner pulley, I took a close look into the compressor unit, and the impeller's rotation looked exactly the wrong way, as I have seen on some threads around this forum.

Look, and comment, please:

I tried to look for a threads, where some of guys had the same problem, and only found one, but the most important is where one of them shows pictures of the "before" and "after", on the impeller subject, of course.

Man!! I could swear I am right, but please, those that know, share your opinion.

Bob (@BruteSpeed), please, what do you think?

Thanks a lot for reading...

Rodolfo Lara Pohlenz
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine
Old 06-02-2013, 05:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It might make a good vacuum cleaner ?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
Here's mine
Exactly the opposite!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It might make a good vacuum cleaner ?
Haha! Pretty much! Because I have been looking for 10 psi, a no matter what, all I get is 4.5 psi.

Thanks.

RLP
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

I'm amazed you're even making that much !!!

What rotation is the actual unit ? does it say anywhere ?

ie, is it just the wrong volute, or the wrong impeller ? And where was the unit sourced from ?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm amazed you're even making that much !!!

What rotation is the actual unit ? does it say anywhere ?

ie, is it just the wrong volute, or the wrong impeller ? And where was the unit sourced from ?
MMM! I do not see on the blower something about rotation.

The unit I got it from an ex-sponsor... With a horrible costumer service. I had a lot of problems with that &&&@@@€! But it is being like 4 years since that.

Before building my 383ci (2 years ago) all I wanted on the 346ci was 5psi, but with forged motor 10 psi and its persue, is where all my nightmares became true haha!

Thanks again.

RLP
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

All I have to do is swap the impeller? Do you guys think that Procharger would sell me just the impeller??

Sending my compressor from Mx to USA and back is gonna be 500+ USD, only on shipping...

Suggestions?

RLP
Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

There are companies out there who make/sell impellers. I doubt Procharger would sell you any parts to install yourself though.

928Motorsports and Superchargerrebuilds.

What sort of quality they are, who knows.

You need to establish if the impeller is wrong, or the volute is wrong before you start changing anything. The gears inside would be turning the wrong way otherwise, which may affect their reliability.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph
I do not see on the blower something about rotation.

RLP
The direction the outlet is facing tells you what direction rotation will be. Yours would be REVERSE rotation. If the outlet was facing opposite of what you have, then it would be STANDARD rotation. You just have a STD. impeller in a REVERSE unit.

Look at this D1SC in this for sale add. It is STD. rotation.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-for-sale.html

Last edited by Firehawk441; 06-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, you finally found the root of the problem after you found you had a cracked intake manifold, etc... What a long journey you have been on. It seems that whoever you bought it from swapped impellers! I too am amazed it made the boost it did! ProCharger does not sell the internal piece parts, but as stevieturbo has mentioned, there are places that do. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sucks to hear that you got screwed over with the blower from an old sponsor. I would think that if you had a receipt or some kind of documentation that you're the original owner, you would be able to have Procharger help you out with a correct impeller.

On that subject, I wonder how well the other options work compared to the factory Procharger impeller.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Sucks to hear that you got screwed over with the blower from an old sponsor. I would think that if you had a receipt or some kind of documentation that you're the original owner, you would be able to have Procharger help you out with a correct impeller.

On that subject, I wonder how well the other options work compared to the factory Procharger impeller.
He had to have bought it used. Bob

Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Wow, you finally found the root of the problem after you found you had a cracked intake manifold, etc... What a long journey you have been on. It seems that whoever you bought it from swapped impellers! I too am amazed it made the boost it did! ProCharger does not sell the internal piece parts, but as stevieturbo has mentioned, there are places that do. Bob

Again I would say, he must find out if the gearset/internals are set up for CW or CCW rotation. I highly doubt both units use the same gears inside ?

If they were straight cut gears inside, I'd say it probably wouldnt matter. If helical cut, very likely it does matter.

It could be the wrong impeller on this unit, or simply the wrong volute.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

There are companies out there who make/sell impellers. I doubt Procharger would sell you any parts to install yourself though.

928Motorsports and Superchargerrebuilds.

What sort of quality they are, who knows.

You need to establish if the impeller is wrong, or the volute is wrong before you start changing anything. The gears inside would be turning the wrong way otherwise, which may affect their reliability.
You are right, Procharger will not sell me the part I need... But, after I spoke with them, Billy, one of the guys that works there, offered me to replace the impeller for the right one, and check everything is ok, free of charge, where all I have to do is pay the shipping "to and back". Really happy with the support, wich I appreciate big time

Based on my perspective I think that the only thing wrong is the impeller. The rotation is accurate, based again on what I see, plus the fact it was putting 4.5 psig.

I will send the turbine on wensday of this week

Thanks lot bud.

RLP
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed

Hehe!! Thatīs right my friend... Finally hehe!

As I mentioned to Steve, Procharger is going to help me out with this mess... Something that speaks of a good customer service, almost as good as the one you offer my friend

Thanks a lot for everything buddy.

Rodolfo LP
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

I do not have the receipt from the transaction back then, but lucky me, I registered my compressor at Procharger's data base,which I think helped.

Thanks for your comment bud.

RLP
Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup reverse rotation at 10 oclock. that one prob came off a vette or something. glad you got it resolved friend.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
yup reverse rotation at 10 oclock. that one prob came off a vette or something. glad you got it resolved friend.
The most frustating thing, is that I paid for a F LS1 kit brand new, and I got more problems than I want to remember!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rudolph
Hehe!! Thatīs right my friend... Finally hehe!

As I mentioned to Steve, Procharger is going to help me out with this mess... Something that speaks of a good customer service, almost as good as the one you offer my friend

Thanks a lot for everything buddy.

Rodolfo LP
That is great news that ProCharger is going to take care of it! You're welcome. Thanks. Bob

Quick Reply: Pretty much sure my D1-SC has the wrong impeller! Please, some input.