Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header leak or intake leak? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Header leak or intake leak? *video*

Does a intake sound like a header leak at all? This damn leak is driving me insane now, it sounds like its coming from the passenger side or intake area. I replaced the header gasket twice already. First time with the GM gasket and then with a Remflex gasket and the sound is still there, I'm starting to think that my intake is cracked or something. Yet the car idles and runs fine so I guess that rules out the intake?

I am almost 100% sure the passenger side isn't leaking any air, could the sound just be echoing from the driver side? I also thought the header might be broken/cracking from the bottom so I slid my phone under the header flanges to make sure they weren't broken and leaking from there and they looks good. My next step would just be pulling the header(s) out and seeing for myself and ether getting them fixed or getting a new set (Pacesetters due to budget). Would hate to do this and then turn out the intake was just cracked and is passing some air...

Here is a video of the damn leak

Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say header leak but wtf knows. Cars are a bitch.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a header leak. I would think a leaky intake would cause a vacuum leak and the car would run like ****. Are you running cheap headers? You might have a broken weld around the primary.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It look's like you have a leak on the drivers side from what I see in the video.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoneGunman
That sounds like a header leak. I would think a leaky intake would cause a vacuum leak and the car would run like ****. Are you running cheap headers? You might have a broken weld around the primary.
Yeah I agree with the car running like ****. Previous owner said my headers were eBay headers, so they are cheap. Looks like I'll be pulling them out and checking for cracks and possibly getting new ones.
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
It look's like you have a leak on the drivers side from what I see in the video.
The smoke is due to me spraying PB Blaster on those bolts in preparation to pull them out
Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I would say header leak but wtf knows. Cars are a bitch.
I agree.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did any of the header gaskets show any signs that exhaust gasses were leaking by them?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on a pickup with edelbrock headers. Ended up being a pin hole in the actual header, in one of the welds for the name plate.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Did any of the header gaskets show any signs that exhaust gasses were leaking by them?
I haven't done the driver side yet, but the passenger side did show some signs of leaking... I'm going to do the driver side next week since right now its our only vehicle. If replacing the gasket on the driver side doesn't do it then I'm getting new headers and swapping them out. see how the wife likes that one, ohhh boy.

Even if I fix the eBay ones I have on right now, I don't want to deal with this deal again. Maybe I'll just sell them for cheap to someone who has a welder and welding skills.

Quick Reply: Header leak or intake leak? *video*