What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Questions regarding Camaro Z28 ss i am purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding Camaro Z28 ss i am purchasing

Hey guys

I am planning to buy an 01' Z28 ss with 77k on it. The man seems very nice and confident about his car over the phone and i am going to test drive it here in a couple weeks.

Stated problems:

1.He says the only two problems he has with the car is his window washer fluid is all leaking out? sounds like a simple fix to me...

2. The second thing he said was he recently ( a year or so ago) did "some work" on the tranny, or a mechanic did and now it is "slippery" with reverse? He says you sorta have to keep it there or else it will sometimes slip out.

He says he is the only car owner and has never beat on it. Infact he is a truck driver and hasn't driven it in over 2 years!

So, I usually like Cobra Stangs, but this car looks sexy and has it at a reasonable price of 11k.

I understand there are faulty parts such as window motors and bad speakers along with a tingy sound in the engine during a cold start, but with everything i have said, what do you guys think? Is the Tranny slipping out of reverse a big or minor problem as well as the washer fluid and should i ask him about anything else?

Clean title, convertible 01 ss z28 77k miles one owner.. Thanks guys
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as a z28 ss. What is the car actually, a z28 or an ss? Or a z28 converted to an ss?

1. Window washer fluid leaking i wouldnt care.

2. Trans slipping out of reverse. Im assuming its a manual trans? Dont see it listed. Personally if its got trans issues, that automatically comes off the top... figure $1200 rebuild on a manual trans.

KBB came in a ~ 10k for a Z28, about 11k for an SS, with a good non-factory set of rims and tires. In EXCELLENT condition.

There are a lot of 're-sell' factors to consider:

1. Ttops?
2. Black or tan interior?
3. Manual of Auto transmission?
4. Are the mods tasteful?
5. How do you feel about the seller? Does he seem honest? Ask him the same questions several times... are you getting the same answer? Is he looking you in the eye or is he looking anywhere but at you.

To me biggest thing is reading the person. If you get that down and you can get a feel of anything you want to purchase.

Hope that helps.

And your not supposed to bump hourly. Rules are one bump PER day. Your concern is not more important than the next guys.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Thank you for replying and i did not know about that post rule.

The car is an SS, Manual Trans and he seems like a good guy that is just trying to sell a car so he can afford to place his daughter in a new apartment while he cant even drive it because of his career.

I understand tranny issues can be costly, but it doesn't sound like a full repair job does it? it just slips out of reverse and i would just keep my hand on it until i shift?

The only mods on the car are borla exhaust and shorty headers always kept in during winters.

And so far, since i live in a different state, i have not seen him but i have talked with him over the phone and he really seems true. (but yea its always to be cautious with people)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Launching!

11k is too much
Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I would not pay $11k for a 77k mile SS with those listed problems (trans one may be costly). Maybe $9k if the car was extremly clean otherwise, but not a dollar more with that trans problem.

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
There is no such thing as a z28 ss. What is the car actually, a z28 or an ss? Or a z28 converted to an ss?
All 4th gen SSs are also (and were originally) Z28s. Every single "real" SS will have both the Z28 and WU8 (SS) RPOs on the SPID sticker. All 4th gen SSs are Z28s that were converted by SLP as contracted by GM. But I do understand your point, it's confusing to call it a "Z28 SS" since that is not how it's badged or generally referred to (other than the '96 models that actually did have a Z28/SS badge on the interior). I just don't want the OP to get confused and think it's not an original SS just because he might see the Z28 RPO on the SPID sticker.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-12-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM

I would have to agree with ls1ta and rpm ws6. 11k for a car in that shape is not worth it. I paid 7k for a 2000 m6 z28 in perfect condition with 80k miles on it. From what I've seen for 11k you can get much, much better than a 2001 ss with a trans that slips out of reverse.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

I got My White 00' z28 m6 With 76k for just under 7.8k Came with C4 Zr1s, Lid, and a quality sounding cat back not to mention Its a amazingly clean car and Hasn't had one major issue.

If you are dead set on an LS1 Fbody like I was its going to take some time to find the car that's actually meant for you. Theres alot of different options for these cars

If your looking at spending 10k on an fbody I would wait I guarantee something good comes along that's perfect for ya. oh and dont be afraid to negotiate someone down thats how i got a good deal. Goodluck
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

11k is way over priced, I wouldn't pay more then 7.5 with the bad tranny.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Agree with most everyone here, mainly due to the unknown tranny problem. Some of the price estimates are out of touch however. KBB in my zip code shows $11,000 to be in-line for a good condition '01 SS convertible with that mileage. The tranny is the main problem. The seller should be able to offer an estimate from a reputable shop (in writing) if he is serious about getting decent $$ for his car. The headers and exhaust are a negative as well for some convertible 'buyers' so his market is very thin already. Having that tranny issue on top of the mods will probably get him no buyers at that price.
As I stated earlier, $11,000 for a good condition stock '01 Camaro SS convertible would normally be a fair price. If you could get that valid estimate and knock off the repair cost from the $11k, then perhaps you could proceed. That is up to you.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$11k for a one-owner, convertible, 6-speed SS would not be unreasonable if and only if the car had absolutely zero issues and a well documented service history. How far is the car from you? If it is inconvenient for you to make multiple trips, I would pass and find something more local. If not too far, go and check it out. Take a buddy for a second set of eyes and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Make sure everything works as it should and that the tires and brakes have lots of life left. Check the fluids. If there is anything else it needs at all, use that to negotiate the price down further. If it turns out that this is the car you have to own, see if the owner will take the car to a reputable repair shop and have that trans looked at and/or repaired. It could be a simple fix but do not gamble on that and do not purchase the car without knowing exactly what it will cost to have it fixed properly. Also consider replacing the clutch while the trans is out, especially if it is the original. Above all, do not overpay. There are so many good deals to be had out there if you are willing to be patient for the right one to come along. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding Camaro Z28 ss i am purchasing