Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC Install???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TC Install???

So i've been thinking of installing my Yank SS3800 myself.
I've installed most of my mods by myself including my Moser 12 bolt (which i bought used so it was basicaly all ready to drop-in).

Ive only found one write-up:
http://modernmusclecars.net/articles...all/index.html

Does anyone have any others or any tips and such???

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just follow that write up. Get someone to help you, another set of hands makes the job pretty easy.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I watched them do my install. If you have the correct tools it should not be too difficult.

Off the top of my head you will need at least a 4ft extension to get 1 or 2 bolts that hold the tranny in place. Obviously something to lift the car pretty high, something to rest the tranny on, there are a lot of wires to disconnect, an air gun would be extremely helpful!

Other than that its pretty simple stuff, took my guy about 2-3 hours to do, I would assume a lot longer without the proper equipment
Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

BTW that is a pretty good write up.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2004, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

Im in the middle of a converter swap myself right now, following that exact same write up. It hasnt done me wrong yet, and I know its saved me time compared to doing it without having had that tutorial. Cause I was able to know what to expect, etc. I forsure however recommend having a friend with you to do it mind you. It helps that I have it up on a hoist and a garage full of all the right air tools etc at my disposal for this. Otherwise, If you can get a shop to do it fairly cheaply and you have the money to give them, go that way. Otherwise, if youre looking to do it yourself, and want to make sure you are lead in the right direction. That sheet is all you need, any questions, feel free to ask, Its fresh in my head
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Restricted User

When installing a TC, make sure you have .080" - .125" clearance between the torque converter and the flex plate, to get the maximum rotor to TC hub contact area. If you have more clearance than this, it will need to reduced to the above recommendation by using 3 machined washers of equal thickness to get the desired clearance. This is necessary to get the "maximum" life from the rotor assembly in the front pump. Most torque converters are in this range of clearance, but it is better to be on the safe side on this.