Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

4th Gen Monsoon/double din wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen Monsoon/double din wiring issue

Hey Camaro friends, I am stuck after a fresh aftermarket install of a kenwood dnn770hd on my 99 z28 convertible. I have maintained the monsoon sound and replaced the factory speakers with suitable aftermarket from kee audio. The problem is it is eating my battery. After 2 full days of sitting its dead, I bought a new battery believing that could be problem but it wasn't. The support I have gotten from supplier, (recommended by this forum) is less than helpful. I have mapped out existing factory plug wiring and believe I have found at least two inconsistencies.1. The adapter has 18 pins in it and the gm factory plug only has 14. 2. One of the factory plug pins is grey, it is mapped as "amp sensor". This wire has no corresponding connection on adapter, I believe this should be connected ? The kenwood unit would not draw this kind of juice by itself and one more piece of the puzzle....the speakers were hissing while car was off....

help
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a technician but I think it would be good start troubleshooting using a multimeter. Could it be that you have two wires switched, the one for the power antenna and the one that continuesly provides power to the HU. (excuse my english, from the Netherlands)

Maybe helpfull.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-1374049.html

http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Autom...issue_P120956/

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid...w=1680&bih=965
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The amp sensor wire has no purpose for an aftermarket head unit, it is used only by the factory head unit - that's why there is no corresponding connection. The wiring harness adapter (you DID use a harness adapter, right?) should have all the necessary connections. Simply matching the aftermarket HU wires color for color with the adapter harness will provide all the correct connections for a simple plug-in installation. Unless you somehow end up with a wire from the new HU that has no connection, you don't have to worry about the different number of wires (other than the remote amp wire which is unnecessary with a Monsoon amp). However, some harness adapters omit the power antenna (pink), the display dimmer (gray), remote control (dark blue), and amp sensor (gray) wires. That could explain the discrepancy between your wire counts.

The most common cause of the problem you describe is reversing the battery and ignition switched power wires (orange and yellow in the factory harness, yellow and red in the harness adapter). That will cause the HU to stay on all the time and drain the battery. It will also cause the clock to reset every time the ignition is turned off.

Try pulling the PWR ACCY fuse and see if the drain stops. That would be the battery supply to the HU. If that doesn't isolate the problem, try the same thing with the RADIO ACCY fuse. That supplies battery power to the Monsoon amp. Don't do the RADIO ACCY fuse until after checking the PWR ACCY fuse because that won't tell you whether the HU is making the amp stay on or whether it's just a defective amp.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Monsoon/double din wiring issue