Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with return line leaking excessively

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Problem with return line leaking excessively

I fired up the LS1 in my Avanti for the first time last Thursday. Been running it off and on for short periods of time, between finishing the wiring, such as alternator and gauges.

Fixed all the leaks early on, had two on the power steering. Have kept my eye on the fuel lines naturally, both pressure and return. No problems.

The fuel tank sits behind the rear seat. I have kept the cover off that seals the tank from the interior, that I might observe any leaks. No problem.

The tank is old school, the inlet for filling is sealed, and is not vented. The vent is a hose on the opposite side that loops above the tank and vents below the frame. The return line is 5/16 and splits to two 5/16 lines that enter the tank through two flared fittings.

Tonight, after running the engine to watch the oil temp gauge to heat up, I looked to the rear, and one of the flared fittings was leaking excessively.

Anyone experienced anything like this? I'm wondering if there was some paint that inadvertently got inside the flare fitting that finally dissolved, or for some reason the tank didn't vent and was pressurized.

I'll check these things out tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this. Was not expecting to see a fuel return leak after being dry for several days.

Also if you experienced this, what was the solution to your problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

When double flares leak, you can loosen and then re tighten the fitting to seat it. It usually works.

Quick Reply: Problem with return line leaking excessively