Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dafuq is wrong with my t56

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dafuq is wrong with my t56

Slopy shifts and noisy acceleration. my car clunks a lot when I'm in gear and accelerating, it vibrates something more to be exact. It's a m6 t56 on a 2001 ss. I'm guessing its something in my transmission because when its on idle it doesn't do the same noise when I rev it. Not so sure it could be dented straight pipe headers not sure. But It defiantly comes from the trans area
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque Arm mount look OK? The only thing that makes me think this isn't it as you mentioned sloppy shifts, which the TA wouldn't impact.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

The sloppy comes when I'm in 4th it will pop out of gear sometimes, not so sure yet but it I'm narrowing it down to the TA (thanks to your advice) and my straight pipe headers. I will find out Saturday when I jack it up, I live in apartments and management is not so lenient with car guys
Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Launching!

My stock TA was broken and the top bolt was stripped.

It allowed the clamshell to move around. Car sounded like a blender at times lol, I to thought my trans was fubar.

It was a simple and fairly cheap upgrade to fix. however maybe you have a TA issue and syncro issue.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richard_956
Slopy shifts and noisy acceleration. my car clunks a lot when I'm in gear and accelerating, it vibrates something more to be exact. It's a m6 t56 on a 2001 ss. I'm guessing its something in my transmission because when its on idle it doesn't do the same noise when I rev it. Not so sure it could be dented straight pipe headers not sure. But It defiantly comes from the trans area
Standard shifter/MGW. Hole in muffler/lighter foot. Clunking/worn uni joints.
Vibrates/worn uni joints, out of balance drive shaft.
You need to do some maintenance when owning a car
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Bought the car April . Only drive it here and there occasionally. It's only been a couple of weeks since I've noticed the things used cars tend to need. I guess if its worn joints or out of balance shaft or synchro, not as bad as I imagined. Sucks not owning a garage. I will get to it when I can. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Dafuq is wrong with my t56