Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory Alarm swap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Alarm swap question

I am currently doing a ls1 swap from a 99 Trans Am donor to my 95 Camaro.

Am I able to take the factory alarm from the donor and put it on the 95 Camaro since I will be using the 99's wiring harness/pcm? Or will it run into Vin compatibility issues?

The steering column is from an 01 SS so the ignition key itself will be different.

And the 95 did not come with an alarm.

Also, where are all of the wires and heart of the alarm located in the car?

Not familiar with how alarms work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The factory alarm is contained in the Body Control Module (BCM) which also handles body/accessory circuits such as courtesy lighting, instrument panel warnings and chimes, keyless entry system, retained accessory power, power locks, hatch release, and the infamous VATS system.

You would be far better off installing an aftermarket alarm than trying to adapt a newer model BCM to an older model that never had one.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn. What is typically the basic aftermarket alarm that people install? All I need the alarm to do is to unlock/lock and do the hatch if possible.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have power locks and power hatch release then almost any alarm system will work for you with your basic requirements. Those made by DEI (Directed Electronics) are considered among the best and vary from the most basic Hornet add-on to factory keyless entry systems to complete systems with auto-start and 2-way communicating remotes. They produce a number of well-known brand names such as Viper, Hornet and Clifford. You can browse their product list at directed.com.

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm swap question