Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E slipping??...update DTC p0719

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L60E slipping??...update DTC p0719

I swapped in a LQ4/ 4L60E into a 77 Jeep Chief. When driving, the trans doesn't shift properly. It seems to be more pronounced when the engine/trans is warm. It feels almost like it's slipping. The fluid is new and full. When cold, it seems to shift fine. If I give WOT, it hesitates to shift. But, if I ease of on the throttle, it shifts up easily. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by supergeess; 07-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

I would suggest hooking up a pressure gauge to the trans; $45 on ebay or let a trans shop do it. Pressure is higher when the trans is cold and drops a bit as it warms up.
Low line pressure can be due to an engine sensor problem (especially TPS and MAF), a bad tune or internal trans problems. Very first - hook up a scanner and scan for any engine or trans codes. If there are any, fix them first.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Finally got around to hooking up a scanner and got P0719- Brake switch B low input.
This showed under "DTC history" and "DTC history after clear". This did not show under "current DTCs". This is my first time hooking up a scanner since install, so I am thinking this code happened at some point, but not recently??? After I saw this code I checked the brake switch (PSI Conversions) wiring and everything was good.

A somewhat strange thing did happen the other day while driving (prior to hooking up scanner): Got on a stretch of road and got to about 55/60 and the speedo dropped down to 10/11 MPH, even though I was still going about 50MPH. Driveability was still good for about the next 10 minutes of stop and go street driving, then it started feeling like it was "jumping" out of gear at around 40/45 MPH. I had to pull over, park it, wait a minute or so,and take off again. Had to do this about 4 time until I got to work and parked it. after work, I jumped in and drove home with no issues...I did not get over 40/45 MPH on the surface streets. It has been good since (5 days now).
I do still have the issue of me having to let of the throttle to shift properly. i'll probably go to a trans shop and havethem check the line pressure.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

If the PCM is picking up the wrong Speedo speed, the trans will misshift/act-up big time. Solving this needs to be a top priority.
Having a trans shop check line pressure is a good idea.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Fixed...I think?? Yesterday, I cleared the DTC history and it has been driving/ shifting perfect ever since...2 days now. I didn't think that clearing the history would effect anything. Thought only if it was a current DTC. GUess I learned something new. Gonna see how it does the rest of week.

Not sure though how I initially got the DTC P0719 code?? Maybe when I had a relay hooked up for the TCC, I could have had something wired wrong and threw the code. I then switched out the relay for the correct brake switch from PSI conversions. Maybe, after the correct brake switch install, there were no more DTC P0719 and the computer cleared it, but it stayed in the history and was still causing the issue?? Hopefully that is all it was.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Update. The issue came back after about 3 weeks of perfect shifting. Checked with scanner and same P0719 code was there in the "history", so I cleared it again and it ran great for 1 day, then started doing same thing as before except this time it would not shift properly when cold and then after about 10 minutes, would begin shifting properly. I hooked up scanner and no code this time!?? Drove home and parked it. The next morning, got in and drove it and it shifts fine now for 2 days! I am puzzled. I'm thinking that it might be a bad or loose electrical connection, bad VSS, or something not right in the PCM?? Thoughts? The other thing I noticed is when not shifting properly, the MIL light does not come on when I turn on ignition. But when it starts shifting properly, the MIL light will turn on when I turn car off and turn ignition back on. ???

Quick Reply: 4L60E slipping??...update DTC p0719