Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Speakers not working

I bought the car like this and it hasn't really bothered me since the hatch speakers are aftermarket and pretty loud but since I'm getting a paintjob and giving the car some tlc I figured I'd might as well fix the small problems. First off I checked the fuse box and everything was fine, I pulled the passenger panel off to see if there was some sort of loose wiring or anythign like that and didn't find anything. Any other suggestions? or has this happened to anyone else? I believe the stock amp in the trunk is still there and working. I'm not very good with electronics so I'm stumped. any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Stock speakers are easy to blow. As well as a poor setup on aftermarket. Not sure what yours are? But you can get a decent highs setup for around 300. Memphis m class door speakers are the best I've found and for the money they are great. Run a small amp to them and you will be fine. Also I've had problems with stock amps going bad but I always replace stock within the first month anyway lol
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If the system is in fact a Monsoon (check for RPO code UZ7 on the door label) and it is still connected then the problem is likely blown speakers. The Monsoon amp powers all eight speakers so if other speakers are working then you don't have a blown fuse or similar electrical problem.

Contrary to what some people who replace factory systems in the first month might tell you, the Monsoon system isn't bad. The amp is not particularly powerful but it produces clean sound to eight channels when given clean input and it has proven to be extremely reliable. The problem is that the factory head unit is a distortion machine that will start clipping at less than half volume. That in turn causes the factory speakers to blow after a while. The factory speakers actually produce decent sound when they're new but they are made of cheap materials and they are at least 11 years old now (15 years old in your case).

You should not have loud audio coming from the hatch area. Those speakers are for rear fill only - that's why they're only 4" - so that you don't have your sound stage behind you.

For an economical sound system, I recommend checking that all the Monsoon parts are still there and that the wiring hasn't been butchered, then replacing the speakers with one of the packages from our sponsors Kee Audio or Double D Mods. Then if you want to improve the sound quality, get rid of the factory HU and put in a decent aftermarket one. If you're like me and hate the look of a single DIN aftermarket HU with a mounting kit, look into getting a double DIN unit and modified trim bezel - they look much better in the dash.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I have heard Monsoon systems brand new back in the day and yes, they weren't half bad for factory. Nevertheless, GMs mistake is putting that POS deck in there. It amazes me how much cheaper aftermarket sound and price is compared to stock. I am in the process of changing out my deck and stock speakers myself. I know there will be a world of difference when I get it done tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Front Speakers not working