Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just how fagile is the rear end on stock power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how fagile is the rear end on stock power?

I'm looking into purchasing a 04-05 V, and have read up on all the common problems; engine mounts, trans mounts, shifter bushing, radiator, starter and of course the rear differential.

I know that the 2nd gen diff is stronger and less likely to grenade. If the rear diff bushing has already been replaced, does that help at all on the 1st gen?
I'm looking for a low-mile car to use for a DD, so I plan to keep the car stock. I don't drive over- aggressively, not going to be wheel-hopping from red-lights.

can the 1st gen diff survive as a DD, or is it completely enevitiable that I'll have to drop $2k to replace it at some point?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep hopping my 1st gen diff with stock power, and it keeps staying together. Mine is my DD with 114k miles... I drive real hard, I just don't usually launch from a dead stop.

My experience does not mirror many others.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I havent had any trouble with mine ether. I have 22k miles on mine though. I get bad wheel hop in first and second. Only because of the tires though. Put some soft rubber out back that will stick and you should have any trouble.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Plus it depends on the part number.. I think they are on the 4th replacement diff. There are threads on it here somewhere. Mine was recently replaced with the newest number, guys at the shop said it would be fine unless I bumped up HP. Try to get an extended warranty with the thing.. then you wont care.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flip a coin, some people have a lot of trouble with the rears from stock power to 700rwhp. I made out well with my Gen 4 diff but I knew how to drive around the hop.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

There were four (4) generation rear end versions released for the Gen I cts-v (04-07)
2nd gen is just as crap... its the 4th gen you are looking for, and for those years, would only be in the vehicle if it was warranty replaced or the few and far between that managed to get it upgraded.
Otherwise, you could break it merely merging... I would be prepared to have $$ laying around personally.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well to be honest its usually the axles that go. Then they take out the diff.Atleast thats what happened to me. Axle broke and fcked up the case on the right side making it usless.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got about 112k on my 05 dd. Track it to with the og diff. So far no real problems. Whines but not to bad yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I've got an '06 that I daily drive (currently with 60k miles) and haven't had any issues with my diff. I don't launch too hard from a dead stop, but do drive it aggressively.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper
There were four (4) generation rear end versions released for the Gen I cts-v (04-07)
2nd gen is just as crap... its the 4th gen you are looking for, and for those years, would only be in the vehicle if it was warranty replaced or the few and far between that managed to get it upgraded.
Otherwise, you could break it merely merging... I would be prepared to have $$ laying around personally.
The OP was referring to the 2nd gen V diff being stronger not the 2nd gen diff in the first gen v.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstLSx
I'm looking into purchasing a 04-05 V, and have read up on all the common problems; engine mounts, trans mounts, shifter bushing, radiator, starter and of course the rear differential.

I know that the 2nd gen diff is stronger and less likely to grenade. If the rear diff bushing has already been replaced, does that help at all on the 1st gen?
I'm looking for a low-mile car to use for a DD, so I plan to keep the car stock. I don't drive over- aggressively, not going to be wheel-hopping from red-lights.

can the 1st gen diff survive as a DD, or is it completely enevitiable that I'll have to drop $2k to replace it at some point?
Where are you located?

I've got a Silver '04 w/ just about 37K. I'm the 2nd owner. Bought the car with 23K miles on it and I assume it's still got the stock diff in it - Don't really know for sure? It has given me no real problems(Had some things fixed under warranty last year before it expired), but like others, I don't do burnouts. I also don't race the car as it's just my DD.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

As usual, side information missing by the OP changes it all...
I have yet to read or see a Gen II cts-v diff break at all, let alone to say 'less likely'. hence i assumed it was all about the 4 generations of diffs for the Gen I Cts-v run.
I think D3 really tried to break a newer V diff, only ever broke axles.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you're aware of the known problems which leads me to believe you can drive the car accordingly... Like others said sometimes its a coin toss...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't do rev-up 1st gear launches and you'll be fine. The '06 I have has the 3G rear end and it is good. I've made the mistake of trying to do a rolling burn out a few times and wheel hop is what you get. Gotta be going around a slow speed speed corner in 1st or 2nd gear to get a nice smooth wheel spin slide going. Having said all that my diff is doing pretty good no whine on the highway 100k miles.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Just how fagile is the rear end on stock power?