Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Think slave cylinder is on it's way out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think slave cylinder is on it's way out.

My car is not a daily driver. I drove it 2 weekends ago and noticed it was a little harder to put it into reverse but it barely caught my attention.

Nothing caught my attention when I drove it yesterday. This morning I got it and went to back out of the garage and stalled out. Contact point of the clutch completely changed. It was at full contact just barely off the floor.

Sometimes if I press the clutch there is nothing there but I can pump it back up and it works alright for a bit.

Friend of mine works at a shop and I went there and we jacked it up and bleed as much out as we could, same symptoms.

My car has 90k miles and original clutch. Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping any.

If I am going to drop the tranny and replace the slave I am just going to replace the clutch and everything. I would like to add some more power down the road but nothing too crazy. The monster level 2 caught my eye.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought. What should I expect? What else should I replace? Anything to add based on your experiences. I am very handy but not an auto technician.

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the slave or the master cylinder, I would check the master first. Since its a lot easier to replace. Your symptoms sounds like mine, which was my master. From my experience you might get a lot of people telling you to by a tick, an depending on how you drive the car you might not need to fork out the cash for a tick. Just my .02
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the fluid in the clutch master reservoir look? It sounds like a hydraulic issue and would replace the master first as it may fix it and as mentioned it is easy to do without dropping the drivetrain. The slave usually leaks when it fails. If you do decide to upgrade the clutch though, I recommend ordering a premium kit as that will include a new slave cylinder along with everything else you need. Don't hesistate to call if you have any other questions. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Think slave cylinder is on it's way out.