Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to make fiberglass parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to make fiberglass parts?

I'm wanting to experiment with making custom fenders/hood/and bumpers by first making replicas from my factory 1998-2002 style parts. I don't want to cut apart those parts in the event I don't like the end result, and will still have my factory parts. So making exact copies would be nice. Anyone with experience with this?

Any prep of my factory parts?
How to make the mold? Plus maintaining it?
Making of the actual new fiberglass parts?

A guide would be nice along with products. Where can I also buy the products too would help. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google Fiberglass forum all the info you could ever need
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fiberglass forums is down, so far it's looking like its down for good. So I've heard.

Typing out on my phone right now would suck. But here is a good read http://www.fibreglast.com/product/mold-construction

If you have never fiberglass before I would not jump straight into mold making. Maybe try smaller parts first. A lot of money can be blown away on trying to make fenders etc. fiberglass resin, fiberglass chop mat/cloth, fiberglass rollers to remove air bubbles, PVA and other type of mold releases/mold prep materials.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Fiberglass forums is down, so far it's looking like its down for good. So I've heard.

Typing out on my phone right now would suck. But here is a good read http://www.fibreglast.com/product/mold-construction

If you have never fiberglass before I would not jump straight into mold making. Maybe try smaller parts first. A lot of money can be blown away on trying to make fenders etc. fiberglass resin, fiberglass chop mat/cloth, fiberglass rollers to remove air bubbles, PVA and other type of mold releases/mold prep materials.

Alright thanks for the link. Looks like I have some reading to do!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

That blows, they had great info, try YouTube and search how to make fiberglass molds... Ton of videos, there is one on there I remember was a company selling its resin products that does a step by step on how to do a hood. But def agree with Boxchev, start small
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E
Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check powerblock tv.com for an episode of musclecars where Rick modded a hood & used it to make a mold to make a new hood. Filmed last year.

Quick Reply: How to make fiberglass parts?