Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Porting Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds

Just curious if you decided to port your cast iron LS manifolds, why and did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you? Did you remove a lot of material, or just a polish? Any proven gains?

For the record, I did not port mine. Didn't see any need in it. But willing to listen to your advice and your experience!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
Just curious if you decided to port your cast iron LS manifolds, why and did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you? Did you remove a lot of material, or just a polish? Any proven gains?

For the record, I did not port mine. Didn't see any need in it. But willing to listen to your advice and your experience!
DO NOT do this. i was grinding on my manifold just to make a little room between it and my corresponding hot pipe and i did this after about 15 sec of light grinding. i figure the metal is about 1/16th of an inch thick in some places.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LILHEMI
DO NOT do this. i was grinding on my manifold just to make a little room between it and my corresponding hot pipe and i did this after about 15 sec of light grinding. i figure the metal is about 1/16th of an inch thick in some places.
Nice one! Kinda why I never bothered to do mine. Figured what was the point? Thanks, hairynuts32?.......
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember back in like 2000, a company called LS1Motorsports would build turbo kits and port the manifolds. I'm not sure how much material they took off. The main thing when porting something is not to necessarily make it bigger, but to smooth it out. Remove imperfections in the castings that'll effect flow, bottle necks, etc.

Quick Reply: Porting Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds