Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To buy or not to buy?

I am currently in the process of selling my Jeep and looking to get back into a Trans Am. I owned a 98 TA for a couple years and loved it, but unfortunately back then the payment was just too much for me.

I'm looking at a 2001 TA WS6 with an LS1 and about 84k miles. Just curious if anyone knows at what point a TA/LS1 is concerned "high mileage" and how long you can usually keep these things running well without pouring money into it. I'm planning on using it as my daily driver, and don't want to get into something that is on the brink of having lots of mechanical problems.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry too much about the mileage, they do great in the sub 100k miles. Once you move into the upper 100's you will get lots of rattles and electrical annoyances. But for the most part you should have an enjoyable ride. Most of the parts are piddly stuff like window motors, blown speakers and electrical gremlins plus a bazillion $$$ in mods to beef it up lol.

As for parts you may need to replace the motor mounts if you do a new exhaust, all fluids probably need flushed depending on maintenance. Also the aftermarket for LS1 vehicles is shrinking but is no where close to dying. Most dealerships cannot order parts for these vehicles so you are stuck using junk yards and aftermarket. Also remember that the NADA value on F-body cars is small and these cars can be easily totaled in some cases.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Default Sounds good

Thanks, that helps!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
Most dealerships cannot order parts for these vehicles so you are stuck using junk yards and aftermarket.
Like any 10+ year old used car, some items have been discontinued by GM, but mostly this is related to interior and exterior trim/panels/components (even some of these are still avaliable though). Many/most mechanical wear items are still available through GM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleyjoy
I am currently in the process of selling my Jeep and looking to get back into a Trans Am. I owned a 98 TA for a couple years and loved it, but unfortunately back then the payment was just too much for me.

I'm looking at a 2001 TA WS6 with an LS1 and about 84k miles. Just curious if anyone knows at what point a TA/LS1 is concerned "high mileage" and how long you can usually keep these things running well without pouring money into it. I'm planning on using it as my daily driver, and don't want to get into something that is on the brink of having lots of mechanical problems.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Although mileage is very important, it can also be deceiving. Are those 84k miles perhaps highway miles driven by a middle aged owner who has meticulous maintenance records? I'd jump all over that ride. Perhaps those miles are on a heavily modded car driven last by a 16 year old who has driven it hard? No thanks! It's all in the details and for what price.
Provide that info for a proper appraisal. You can also get opinions in the 'What's It Worth' section in the Classified section. For DD use you will need a good unmolested example that won't aggravate you with constant repairs. Best of luck with your search for a sweet F-body.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Agree with them! Depends on the previous owner(s)! Do a real thorough check before you buy it as long as a car fax. The loan value isn't high at all on these anymore. The mileage is the main factor at the bank if needed. But it comes down to how it was taken care of.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy?