Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

are 4th gen camaros a good first car??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are 4th gen camaros a good first car??

Hey whats up guys im a 17 year old guy and a senior in high school that LOVES CAMAROS!! Ive always been in love with camaros and just everything about them... anyway im looking to buy my first car by february because thats when i start early college and i need a way to get there and to and from work. Im buying my car 100% by myself with no help from anyone and yes im paying the insurance every month too. I get good grades in school and all of that so hopefully that will help me save some money on the insurance. I am an "experienced driver" by a teenagers perspective and i feel like i could handle a car like that (1998-2002). Ive been driving for 2 years and ive driven a 1999 mercury villager, 2010 chrysler sebring, 2010 hyundai elantra, 2013 hyunudai elantra, 2011 camaro, and a few other cars that i cant really think of lol. I dont want to spend over 2500 bucks for the car because thats probably about all i can save up to february. So basically what i want to know is is a good car for a 17 year old? Would the insurance kill me and my little food lion pay check? please any feedback would be appreciated
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends what you consider a good car. If you want a car with good mileage that can hold a lot of people and does ok in the snow, then it's a horrible car lol. If you can get by with a rwd car year round and don't need a 35-40 mpg car then it's as good as any. For $2500 you're not going to get a v8 car in very good condition, if at all. Maybe an ok LT1 car for that price if you find a good deal.

As for insurance, the companies I've been with have never cared what I drive, my rates have always been the same whether it's a Trans Am or a Civic. I don't think insurance will be an issue especially where you aren't planning to owe money on it, you won't need full coverage. Just shop around and find the best deal on liability.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^What he said. $2500 is not a very big budget at all unless you're getting someone's POS. Granted, you could probably buy a decent 3800 V6 with that budget, but you need to determine what your goal is -- and more importantly, the type of environment it will be driven in.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I think it would be a good car for you. WAY back when I was 17, my first car was a Z28. As long as you're responsible, I don't see any issues with it.

As far as the pricing, I commend you for paying cash for it instead of financing it. You aren't going to be able to get an LS1 for $2,500 that isn't going to need a lot of work. I'd suggest saving for a little longer and pay $5k instead.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are good first cars, I had the 2000 SS in my sig as a first, just remember to ALWAYS respect the power, if you do, you'll be fine. I got that SS when I was a senior in high school, I'm 19 now and about a month and a half ago I got overly confident for a few seconds and ended up crashing the car, really gave me a reality check.

Last edited by TransAmWS.6; 07-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah if you do end up finding a ls1 car, be careful. Not that you shouldn't be careful in any other car but ls1's stock are a true beast. Don't listen to you friends and try and drift it and all the other stupid **** they want you to do, you will wind up hurting yourself if you dont know what your doing. And even if you know what your doing these cars are powerful enough to have you sideways just like that. When I first got my z28 it surprised the **** out of me and there was a few times I tried going beyond my skill level and luckily it just scared the **** out of me.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Man, 4th gen F-bodies are great cars. And not to get in the manual vs auto debate, but with the M6's .50 6th gear ratio, they can get pretty good gas mileage in a V8. Like others, I commend you for wanting to pay cash. I also would suggest saving a little more and get a LS1 instead of the v6. Regarding the suggestion of liability insurance only, I disagree. Shop around and get good coverage and full coverage. You may pay a little more for it monthly, but if/when you need it, its there. When I was 17 I totalled out my S10 and I had liability only. I was hitting the shoe leather express for several months before buying my mom's car cheap when she gott a Firebird. Also, there are too many douche bags that decide they are more important than you and dont get insurance - I dont want to see you get hosed if one of these jerks runs into you. Best wishes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

What they said, good luck.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pewterformula
Man, 4th gen F-bodies are great cars. And not to get in the manual vs auto debate, but with the M6's .50 6th gear ratio, they can get pretty good gas mileage in a V8. Like others, I commend you for wanting to pay cash. I also would suggest saving a little more and get a LS1 instead of the v6. Regarding the suggestion of liability insurance only, I disagree. Shop around and get good coverage and full coverage. You may pay a little more for it monthly, but if/when you need it, its there. When I was 17 I totalled out my S10 and I had liability only. I was hitting the shoe leather express for several months before buying my mom's car cheap when she gott a Firebird. Also, there are too many douche bags that decide they are more important than you and dont get insurance - I dont want to see you get hosed if one of these jerks runs into you. Best wishes
Those are some good points about full coverage. It might be cost prohibitive though, especially for a $2500 car. If you end up saving for a little more expensive car then it might be worth the extra cash. The difference between liability and full coverage can be quite a bit, especially with a performance car. I've currently got 5 cars and 2 bikes insured and all are paid for so I've just got liability on them. I'm fine with doing all my own repairs if any get damaged and none are worth over $6000. If they were more expensive or I couldn't do all the repairs myself, I'd consider full coverage.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL @ "respect the power" stock even an LS1 isn't even that fast compared to modern day standards when you can get a v6 terd box with as much or more hp..... They are good cars though, I've owned 3, 4th gens, 2 3rd gens, and my dad had a 2nd gen when I was a kid...
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baalic
LOL @ "respect the power" stock even an LS1 isn't even that fast compared to modern day standards when you can get a v6 terd box with as much or more hp..... They are good cars though, I've owned 3, 4th gens, 2 3rd gens, and my dad had a 2nd gen when I was a kid...
I dont know if face-palm or laugh with this comment... you are comparing a 10 years old car.. hahaha... the LS1 camaro is a powerful car and in the wrong hands they can be a huge problem... may you drive a ZR1 with 3500 Rwhp... cuad turbo/supercharged/w nitrous ... but for a 17year old kid 3xx horse power are Lots of power and fun.. even w my Z28 I smoke 5 gens daily

Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Laugh all you want, young kids around here get nice cars all the time. I've seen 2 ls1's on the news in the past 6 months where kids have killed themselves not being careful one kid actually didn't die but he was paralyzed. Not to mention there was a 99 cobra wrecked 2 weeks ago out here not 5 miles from my house. killed the kid his girlfriend and his friend in the back seat. Happens all the time not just here.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to disagree man, if you don't respect the car, things will end badly for you, period. I know first hand.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Teching In

an LS1 isn't even that fast compared to modern day standards.

All things relative there. Not fast compared to what??

A 300+ hp RWD half plastic car (even if it is a cheap junker) will be pretty fast for a 17 year inexperienced driver.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at whoever said this car isn't fast stock. To a kid, this thing is a rocket. I am 18, have had the car for a year and half, and it can get squirrely quick. in the rain, to much gas in a turn or just messing around. Yea some sedans have a estimated 300hp, but to the tire more like 200-240 at most. This car is 300-315 stock to the tire and its rear wheel drive.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

^ I agree with you and I am decades older then 18. Lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
^ I agree with you and I am decades older then 18. Lol.
To be honest when I first was looking into them I didn't think about the HP and everything. I thought this car would be a close comparison to the new V6 Camaro. It is far from that. Closer to the SS.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 16. I drive my Z every day that the weather doesnt permit me to ride. I completely concur that these cars are not slow or boring. Ive ripped it a few times and Ive lost control a couple times and came within inches of wrecking it. Neutered me pretty damn quickly. I just take it calm and easy now with the occasional gettin wild (within control).

Aside from the performance, make sure you're comfortable in it. Dont be surprised when you hear squeaks and rattles. They have small gas tanks (14 gal). Back seats are for children and your friends wont enjoy being back there. If you get a T-top with a black interior, expect to be roasted in the summer when you get in the car. Parts are easy to get. Insurance is a bitch. If you get a V8, expect people to give you **** on how its not a Corvette or how their car is just so much faster. But what they dont know is with the LS1, you could run with the new muscle for not much money

All in all, they are nice cars, not the holy grail of cars, but like the others said, respect 'em and you'll be fine.

Last edited by WRSpence; 08-02-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WRSpence
I'm 16. I drive my Z every day that the weather doesnt permit me to ride. I completely concur that these cars are not slow or boring. Ive ripped it a few times and Ive lost control a couple times and came within inches of wrecking it. Neutered me pretty damn quickly. I just take it calm and easy now with the occasional gettin wild (within control).

Aside from the performance, make sure you're comfortable in it. Dont be surprised when you hear squeaks and rattles. They have small gas tanks (14 gal). Back seats are for children and your friends wont enjoy being back there. If you get a T-top with a black interior, expect to be roasted in the summer when you get in the car. Parts are easy to get. Insurance is a bitch. If you get a V8, expect people to give you **** on how its not a Corvette or how their car is just so much faster. Nut what they dont know is with the LS1, you could run with the new muscle for not much money

All in all, they are nice cars, not the holy grail of cars, but like other said, respect 'em and you'll be fine.
^^^ Thanks for your honest evaluation and input. You sound very articulate and mature for a 16-year-old.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL....no a 4th gen is not a good car for a new driver. I have 2 kids and no way they are getting there hands on anything with more power than a 2000 Chevy cavalier. And they will like it!!!

Quick Reply: are 4th gen camaros a good first car??