Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros And Cons Dampener VS UD Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros And Cons Dampener VS UD Pulley

I am trying to decide whether or not to re-use the 25% ud pulley I already have or swap over to a dampener and not worry about using a UD pulley. I jumped the gun when I installed the 25% ud pulley because I only put 50 miles on it before beginning the engine tear down.

After talking with ATI about my build specs, they made it sound like my crankshaft would immediately snap in half if I did not use one of their dampeners. Have any of you ever had your crank snap while using an ud pulley?

What do you guys and gals prefer when it comes to pulleys...dampeners or ud's?

Thanks,

Q
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are really worried, then you can just run an ATI underdrive. Otherwise, if you are not running constant high RPMs, then run the 25% you have now. FWIW, I have been running an ASP 25% for over 100k miles, and no problems, but it is a street, not a race car.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
If you are really worried, then you can just run an ATI underdrive. Otherwise, if you are not running constant high RPMs, then run the 25% you have now. FWIW, I have been running an ASP 25% for over 100k miles, and no problems, but it is a street, not a race car.
Thanks for the feedback. The way I drive, the only time this car will see the rev limit is during the dyno tune
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are serious rpm or constant high rpm a regular underdrive pulley will work fine for you.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a street/strip engine that doesn't see SUSTAINED high RPM (6000+), the popular budget underdrive crank pulleys will suffice. No, your crankshaft will not break That said, ATI's balancers are the best in the business.

I have an ASP that's over a decade old. My engine sees 7000rpm everytime I drive it. No broken crankshaft or beat up bearings.

Quick Reply: Pros And Cons Dampener VS UD Pulley