Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil coming out the air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out the air cleaner

I have an 08 Z06 with 4500 miles on it. I took it to the Motorstate Challenge this weekend and road raced it. After my second session I noticed a decent amount of oil coming out of the air cleaner and running down the front of the car and even getting on the inside of my front driver wheel. Anyone else ever experience this. In talking to others im getting mixed comments. Some people say its normal for LS motors to blow excess oil through the pcv line and to just put a catch can on it. Others who race corvettes regularly say they have never had that issue and that it is something building pressure in the crankcase which is a sign of bigger issues. I though the dry sump may have been overfilled but if anything im about a 1/2 quart low. While running I always had 50+ oil pressure and the oil temp never got above 210. Oil was pooled up in the air cleaner, the ribs of the rubber boot that connects air cleaner to the throttle body. It was a substantial amount of oil that took about a 1/2 roll of blue towels to clean up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also. I was not over revving it. Was shifting an 6K or less.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

I would do a leak down test just to make sure that you don't have an issue with your heads other than that my next guess would be crank case pressure
Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bad28
I would do a leak down test just to make sure that you don't have an issue with your heads other than that my next guess would be crank case pressure
^ this is probably the best suggestion you'll get.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out the air cleaner