Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Sticking

A couple of days ago while driving to work my clutch pedal started to stick and wouldnt return. I did a quick search here and decided to bleed the clutch. This did nothing to help my pedal return to the up position and while trying to get home I completely lost pressure. Managed to make it to a auto shop and they told me the slave cylinder was shot. After taking it part they told me it was the pressure plate and fingers thet were so worn they wouldnt puch the peddel back up. This concerns me first because it wasnt apart of the quote but also because I know there wasnt any clutch slippage. So now Im comming to LS1Tech for some sound advice before I have these guys fix something that might not need fixing.

Last edited by Mr.One; 07-30-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on the car/current clutch? Any mods to the car? My pedal was sticking after i threw in my 408 with a MS3 clutch, turned out the Master Cylinder wasnt keeping up and went with an Adjustible Tick one.

If its high mileage it could just be worn out and if you plan on keeping the car you might as well upgrade it. Throw in a LS7 clutch kit for cheap if you plan on keeping the car stock or slightly modded. If not go with an Monster stage 2 or 3.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like the slave failed and ruined the clutch possibly, it's hard to confirm their diagnosis without pics. Did they show you the worn fingers on the pressure plate? Is there a reason you don't trust the shop you took it to doing the work?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.One
This concerns me first because it wasnt apart of the quote but also because I know there wasnt any clutch slippage. So now Im comming to LS1Tech for some sound advice before I have these guys fix something that might not need fixing.
Unless the shop had Xray vision there is no way to know the pressure plate was toast without taking it apart. I've had clutch pedals stick simply because of worn/defective master cylinders.

Their diagnosis isnt due to the clutch slipping, your problem is its not releasing.

GM did update the design of the master cylinder and I love the feel of good, non-worn out GM hydraulics. Havent used a Tick personally but I've heard nothing but good things as well.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Sticking